New Ford Cabover

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by biglawndog, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Has anyone bought or considered the new cabover Ford. I looked at on today with a 16' chipper dump body, 16000 lb GVW, 6 cyl twin turbo 200hp diesel,a/c, power windows and locks. Really nice. $40,000.00 is alot of money.What do you guys think?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I was going in to buy one last week with 18' landscape bed. Found out all four the dealership had on order had no power windows or locks and vinyl seats. I really wanted cloth and power windows and locks. This is the last of the '06 models coming. The '07's will be here in a couple months and ac, power windows, power locks, and cloth seats are standard for that year model. Will have to wait.

I had a thread on Ford-Trucks.com about this very truck. The people who responded said they loved it. Not too many high opinions on the Isuzu models. The Ford has 200hp, the Isuzu's and Fuso's have 175hp. Everybody I've talked to with any kind of cab-over say it's one the best pieces of equipment they've ever bought.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=132838

3. Thanks LS, Did you happen to get any prices?

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I too have some interest in this thread I looked at a Fuso that seats-6 and had a 14 Ft. bed and it was 40-K I was very impressed. Well by my count I only saw one person on the other thread say they preferred the Ford and that was over a dodge p/u. I also saw rumor that others preferred it over Isuzu's and Fuso's but no one that contributed to the thread. I have heard mostly good things about the Isuzu's here, everyone who ever drove one says they never break down the only knock on them is the power, and that was in hilly areas and trailer pulling. would really appreciate some more feedback here.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I have NEVER seen anyone go back to a Ford, GMC or Dodge after switching to an Isuzu or mitsubishi cabover. It's like switching fron a belt to a hydro mower. I'd only buy one of the big three if I were dragracing wich I'm not. The Ford LCF is new, time will tell I hope it turns out better than the others.

6. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

The engines on the N-series Isuzus have been upgraded to a 5.2 Liter 4 cylinder (formerly 4.75 Liter) with 190hp and 387 ft lbs of torque. Check out the specs here: http://www.isuzucv.com/nseries/nprdieselspecs.html

Also, check out the Npr "Red Rider" special edition flat bed: http://www.isuzucv.com/promotions/redrider.html

7. lawnspecialties

The price for the LCFs the dealership had on order (the plain ones) was about $34,000 including tax and tags.

Like I said in my original thread Az, the guys who spoke so highly about the LCF and not in favor of the Isuzu's was at Ford-Trucks.com, not the thread I posted here at lawnsite. It is another forum website about all Ford trucks. Go to Ford-trucks.com and look under "General Diesel". It's a fairly recent thread so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I do like pottstim's info on the new engine specs for the Isuzu. I'll definitely need to check that out as well.:)

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the clarification my bad.

9. lawnspecialties

I just went to the Isuzu site from pottstim. Thanks, buddy. Although the Isuzu is definitely a very nice truck with a proven history, when you do a comparison on that website, it just goes to prove to me the Ford is the cabover for me.

I want a diesel. I don't care if Ford doesn't offer a gas engine.
    I want a regular cab. I don't care if Ford doesn't offer a crew cab.
    I want more power and torque. Hands down to the Ford.
    The LCF has an option for two 35 gal. fuel tanks that I definitely want. The Isuzu doesn't come close.
    The GVWR on the LCF starts at 16,000. 2,000 more than the Isuzu.

The Isuzu is no doubt an excellent vehicle. And I'm not some guy who buys "Ford only" or "Chevrolet only". I work by myself so I want the absolute best for my hard earned dollar. For me and what I need, the LCF almost seems like the kind of cab-over I would have designed myself; if I had the smarts to do such a thing.:laugh:

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a foregone conclusion that you'll get an opinion in favor of the Ford on Ford-Trucks.com.

The Ford is not the hands-down power winner. It has slightly (about 5%) more power, but has a smaller engine than the Isuzu. The Isuzu's standard GVWR is only 12,000, but the N series can be had up to 19,500 GVWR. The Ford only comes with an automatic, where the Isuzu has a standard six-speed manual with an available automatic.
    The Ford looks like a really good truck, but only time will tell if it compares favorably in terms of reliability with the Japanese cabovers. I'd be hesitant to buy one until it's been around for a few years.