New Forestry ASV

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by hansondirtman, Jun 16, 2008.

1. hansondirtman

hansondirtman LawnSite Member

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

99.9 hp!!!! Just a bit more and they get slapped with the TIER regulations!!
    I love the reversing cooling fan, I wish everyone had that.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if you can call that a true forestry machine :laugh:

It does look like it is set up for mowing or could be used for small scale selective logging by adding a buncher head to it.

4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I imagine it will grind pretty good, run a stump grinder good and would make a heck of a grapple unit.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

They need to get better tracks or something with steel nubs on it for grip when crawling over logs etc or working in slippier conditions.

They also need to design a logging arch for it or a arch with wheels that can be pulled behind the machine. You have small scale operations you need to skid wood and keep it realitivly clean for a bandsaw sawmill like a woodmizer.

A machine with a good lift capacity is a must for moving the logs or moving the lumber cut from the mill.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

You would be surprised was those tracks will grip to, even the manure slick floors I skid across feel like gravel when I turn, and if that ASV has steel tracks, there would be so much weight the ground pressure would be no better than a common dozer.

7. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

wow thats a nice machine

8. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

If you haven't ever ran one of these then you are totally clueless as to how well they perform. steel studs? ASV tracks are the best in the business. Hands down.

Infact I just bought another one today, Just don't like to brag about stuff like that.

Plus there is an aftermarket winch that can be placed on the rear of the machine.

J.

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

J. Peterson:

You guys safe from the floods? We've been praying for everyone up there. What a mess..

10. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Thanks for asking.

We have been in good shape. but the folks down the hill aren't so lucky.

I have had at least on machine running around the clock carrying snad bags and the the like for the last few days.. Its just crazy. I just can't get over the amount of voulenter help that have showed up to help.

on june 14, we ran my skidloader, My deere tractor and one of my trucks, on the university campus to try to save the libarary, the chemistry building and some other important buildings. I had heard that there were over 4000 people helping down there throughout the day. you just can't believe how many people were there.

On thursday we split the crew, had one loader on the U of I campus and all my trucks hauling to one of my big clients.

We hauled 60 loads of sand in a loosing effortfor my largest client. In a half an hour the water from the storm sewers went froma trickle to over the front bumper of my 4x4 F350 dump truck. My clients we forced to evacuate to higher ground. They had spent so much time trying to sand bag that they weren't able to save all of thier equipment (the areas largest lawn care provider) I had to loan them one of my snow buckst so they would be able to load mulch at thier new location. I told them no charge for any of my companies time, But I will expect them to do the same if I were ever in the same situation. We had a good laugh.

My girlfriends nail salon that she owns was over taken on friday afternoon, But from the pics we can't tell if the sand bags held or not. We hope they did. But her folks came up on Thursday night to get all her cabinets moved out.

In true Iowa fashion we are down but not out.
    And no matter what people think, we will get through this with out to many problems.
    We aren't looking for hand outs, Its the midwestern way.

J.