New Forums?? Please Read Sean

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Mar 8, 2005.

?

Do We Need New Forums??

1. YES Under 18 year old Forum

15.1%
  2. YES Part Timers Forum

11.3%
  3. YES Under 18 and Part Timers Forum

13.2%
  4. NO Keep it as it is

60.4%
  1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Think it's time for some new forums??? Please vote.

2. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

Why segregate the experienced from the unexperienced? Isn't that the whole point of a forum - to learn about others' ideas and they way they run their business? What does age matter? Plus, how are you going to verify someone's age?

Seth

3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

It'll give them a chance to discuss things between eachother, and they could pop into our forums for advice from time to time. As long as they can still have access to both forums... (waits to get bashed on this)

4. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

No way, if there is a thread you don't want to read, don't read it, don't reply. Why should we not communicate our knowlege with others? Just my .02.
    Aaron

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree...too many forums is just splitting hairs, here. Next, we'll be seoerating those that mow with wb's and those that mow with Z's. It's just getting bigger, but eveyone is welcome all the same. Oh, I agree that some of the "teen talk" gets a little monotonous at times, but it fades. And I for one, have NO problem answering questions from most of these young guys that are serious and eager. I will NOT, howevevr, entertain some of the juvenile convo that gets brought here from time to time.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

maybe a part timers forum, but everyone should have access to everything. if it ever becomes segregated like some people are suggesting, I'm gone.

7. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I am for the under 18 forum. I think everyone should have access to it though. Then the under 18 group could still get help from the older crowed.

The problem with this poll will be that all the under 18 group will vote and they probably out weight the over 18 group that cares enough to vote.

I think it is safe to say most under 18 are not professional/real business owners, and should not be in this section, but homeowners etc also visit this section. There is no real way to keep them out. I am substituting the word commercial in this forum, because I think it originally was meant to mean professional, or meaning to have a business. I could be wrong.

Sean was on sorta on the right track when he tried the benefits program (I think that is what it was called). He could use the same concept by making this section free but have limited access to members over 18 (I have no idea if it would be easy to do with the software he uses though). Some can lie about age, but we have seen in the past that these kids are for the most part honest individuals. Even if some lied it would still keep most from commenting on issues they have no real experience on. If they do lie at least it would bring the membership count up :).

Right now it is 17 vs 21. If you count the top 3 choices as a vote against under 18 in this section. It will be interesting to see the outcome. Like I said there will be a lot of under 18 voting on this and only a fraction of the over 18.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

ok, lets flip things, how about and 18 and older forum? I think that that would be exceptable to everyone under 18. how you are going to prove that someone is over 18 would be your problem. you guys get your exclusive mens club, and we can still learn from the people who want to be helpfull.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Grounds Control,
    I rarely have a problem with the younger guys on here, the only real problems I've seen have been do to the response they recieve.
    lets leave well enough alone.
    by the way TCLAWNS, I like your signiture line. :D

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Yea but the over 18 business owners belong in this section of the site. The under 18 forum should be put down next to the homeowner forum.

We don't have a problem with homeowners in here answering questions etc. Why can't the under 18 follow their example.

I only have a few problems with under 18 kids coming to the commercial, or business section and commenting on things they should not. For example someone ask for advice about starting out. Should 15 year old Johnny be giving this advice. I think it is safe to assume that the person asking the question wants experience people that have been through the school of hard knocks answering his question. They want someone that has had years of experience not little Johnny who in fact is just starting out himself.

P.S TClawn, you are an exception. You have a head on your shoulder. But you wouldn't answer these types of questions either. At least I hope you wouldn't.