1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

New Found Hobby

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hammanservicesllc, Dec 30, 2009.

1. hammanservicesllc

hammanservicesllc LawnSite Member

Hello everyone! After several summers off as a teacher, I realized I needed a new hobby to replace my expensive addiction to golf. So, I worked part-time for a fellow teacher helping him with his lawns and the next summer I started my own lawn care business. I have to say I really enjoyed my first season in the business. I love working outside and I learned so much by starting my own company. Things like accounting, taxes, insurance, and incorporating. I hope to pick up a few accounts this coming season and become more efficient in my balance of career and family. Now it seems I am day dreaming more about stripes and my next trip to lowes than pars and birdies!

2. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

you day dream about a trip to lowes? What do you buy there, lumber? Congrats on your new hobby. In a few more years you'll want to be back on the course. Are you only working in Chillicothe? or do you service other towns?

3. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

with that equipment list you will be going to lowes OFTEN. But honestly, after your second season and the novelty wears off you will be saying "what was i thinking" hahaha. good luck to you.

4. hammanservicesllc

hammanservicesllc LawnSite Member

LOL! Yeah I do need lumber. My winter project is to fix up my garage. I only have 10 accounts, all in Chillicothe. This kept me busy during spring and fall. In the summer it is perfect because I can do them all in 1 day. This leaves me plenty of time to spend with my kids. When they get older I am going to renew my golf membership and will be spending a few days a week golfing again.

I realize not all my equipment is commercial grade. I would love to have Stihl or Echo equipment but I could not justify buying for my first year in business.