New Gas Tanks

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gene gls, Jul 19, 2006.

1. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Whats the purpose of having a selector valve on the new tanks verses the equal draw on the old tanks??? By running on one tank it creates a weight issue on one side of the mower when doing hills. Its a pain in the butt to keep switching back and forth to equeal the weight for traction...It looks like this valve is a problem for a lot of users that run out of gas......Thanks...

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We went to a selector valve several years ago.
    This isolates each tank and stops the fuel from transferring from tank to tank on slopes and possibly causing leakage out of the fuel caps.
  3. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

I would think knowing you have reserve fuel at the twist of a valve is peace of mind also.
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I fill my tanks every morning so I don't have to worry about running out of gas. I want my tanks to draw out even so I maintain equeal weight on both sides for traction.
  5. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Was a check valve ever considered instead of the switch? Seems like that would have prevented the transferring, yet still allowed draw from both tanks.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My old Dixie Chopper had a dual draw system.

I hated it.

Park on ANY type of incline and you'd have fuel bubbling out of your gas caps.

I'd like to see BOTTOM draw tanks instead of the current top draw.

The pickup tube is NEVER in the lowest portion of the tank.

I'm running out with over a GALLON of fuel STILL in these tanks!

We need either bottom draw or a BIG weight strapped to these pickup lines to keep them in the bottom of the tank (front), and not the back.
  7. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Well you must park on some crazy inclines as I've NEVER had fuel overflow out of mine. That seems weird. Again though...the check valve would cure this. You could do it on both the cap and the tank line.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You've never filled your tanks and jacked up the mower to change blades?