New Gator Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Nov 2, 2004.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting grass stopped here. Mostly all leaves have fallen. So, I went to the dealer to get my gator blades. Cost was only $8 each. If it is not raining tomorrow I will be mulching leaves with my gators. Never used gators before. But, looking forward to the results.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

You should try them on grass, too.

3. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

They work good when I use them with my leaf collector . Very few clogs. May not last as long as regular high lift blades though IMOA

4. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

if you get a mulching kit put on your mower they will really work great. you can go over spots and it is almost as clean as it is if you bag it. its cool try it. a good mulching kit for my big mower was i think about $120.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you will love them especially for leaves. You will be like, "Why the heck wasn't I using these before."

6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

How well do they do just cutting grass and side discharging? I am considering getting a set for our Woods mower that just clogs up in thick grass. I'm hoping they will improve side discharging so it will not clog up.

7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought my first set this week also.

The subject lawn had no leaves, but the cut quality was great. Those blades striped better than the high-lifts I had been using.

My Exmark mower does not have a mulch kit installed.

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Depending on your deck design, they may actually be worse at discharging. They simply have less lift, and don't move the clippings like high-lifts do. We use the high-lift blades under gator blades set up.

9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Also check to see if they are real Gators or not. I think the real Gators throw the clippings/leaves toward the center spindle area and the knock offs throw them out-ward.

10. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

I believe they are gators if there is a stamped picture on the blade showing a gator looking at you. Gator logo I mean.