New GPS for Nextels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jan 31, 2004.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I just thought this was cool and wanted to pass it along.....

Nextel has a new phone out there - the i730. It's pretty cool. Lots of neat features (like being able to store 600 contacts with 5 ph. numbers per contact). But one of the best features is that it comes GPS enabled and you can then subscibe to TELENAV and your phone is transformed into a top-of-the-line GPS system. You get full-color maps, detailed driving directions, and it even talks to you and directs you turn-by-turn to your destination if you want.

I know the've had similar GPS features on the i85 and i90 but the full color screen on the new i730 just brings it to a whole new level.

I just got the phone a few days back and just activated the GPS feature today. They say it'll take 24 hours before I can use it. So I can't tell you how I like it yet. But it sounds cool as heck! No more trying to read the map as I drive to give an estimate! :D

To see more info. and pictures, etc. see
  2. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Can it be used to track locations of crews?

DFW Area Landscaper
  3. JimLewis

Yes, you can get that feature too! I was just reading about that on the Nextel / idenupdate website.
  4. MSYardman

MSYardman LawnSite Member
    from MS & LA

I'm looking at this same phone. The GPS mapping sounds too good to be true.

I've been looking around for someone who has this setup to give me an idea on quality of the GPS unit and the cost of the monthly GPS service.

Also, I can't figure out how I can track my crews with the Nextel features I previewed. Any idea?

5. JimLewis

Cost depends on how much you use it. You pay $5.99 / mo. to Telenav for the service. Then, you pay $9.99 / mo. to Nextel for the connection. That gets you about 3 hours worth of navigation per month. Plans go up from there.

But compared to a $1100 talking Garmin GPS device, that ain't a bad price. And it's very comparable. Full color. The phone has a built in speakerphone that will give you voice promts at every turn if you choose. It's pretty close to the quality you'd get with a nice GPS system, from what I can tell (again, mine still isn't working at this point. Will be by tomorrow. So I am just saying from what I've seen online.)

As for the fleet tracking thing you're looking for, see the website below. It's the third one down - AGPS Tracking.
  6. JimLewis

7. MSYardman

MSYardman LawnSite Member
    from MS & LA

Thanks for the link. I would be very interested to hear from you once your system is set up on how it is working.
  8. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I do have the same phone and also was looking into this, please let me know how it works, I'm looking forwar to your review
  9. JimLewis

Getting excited! Should begin working sometime today. Can't wait to go take a drive.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Very interesting.