New grass dying in Atlanta, GA

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Flounder, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Flounder

Flounder LawnSite Member

I know it's not the best time of the year to plant new grass but I put in a new irrigation system and I planted on the trenches. The grass came up fine but now it has slowly started dying. I'm not sure if I am maybe watering too much or too little for the new grass or is just too hot this time of year in Atlanta for new grass. I planted Pennington Tall Fesue. The mature Fesue grass is growing and looking great. I'm watering 4 times a week early in the morning.

BTW, I put the irrigation system in myself (with help of course), 7 zones, 62 heads and I love it. This site made it possible.

Thanks for any advice/help.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This time of year I'd guess the new grass is just cooking in the heat down your way...........................

Lots and lots of water.
    How much are you watering?
    How much soil (how deep) is on your "trenches"

3. Flounder

Flounder LawnSite Member

Rotor zones are running 25 minutes 4 times a week in the early morning. Main is 12'' and laterals 8-10". I installed the HunterPro-C controller so I think I can program the rotor zones only to come on additional days. My plants and flowers are growing gang busters.

Thanks

4. Instant Rain

Instant Rain LawnSite Member

I do not know anything about your system performance or the climate in your area. Although I believe that if you can water more often during the day to keep the root zone moist through out the heat of the day it may help your situation. New grass has short roots and can only reach the water close to the surface. It may be wasteful to water during the day because evaporation will decrease the efficiency of your system. The new grass should start to become established well enough to water at night again when you can pull on the grass and the roots actually hold it down. Then water every morning early for a few weeks. For such a small area as just over the trenches you may find it easier to let the grass come back on its own. When you finally do setup your schedule. Water then let the water infiltrate for a while, then water again. This will make the watering events more effective by allowing the water to get deeper into the soil. Also you will increase the root length of all your grass. This is good because the grass will better be able to take advantage of natural rain water, and go longer between watering events. Also check with local codes, here it may be illegal to water during the day. Here the ticket is around $200 for watering during prohibited times.