1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new grass herbicide?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fordnut, Oct 20, 2007.

1. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

I have planted my yard this fall with transition blend fescue from lesco. It turned out pretty good. My question is what herbicide to use for onions and henbit. I have only mowed it once. Yes I'am licensed in NC.....thanks
  2. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

2-4,D Turf should be mowed at least 3 times before applying. Two applications 10 to 14 days apart.
  3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I would recommend Speedzone in your situation. It simply would be more effective in the mild/cool temperatures this time of year.
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Wait until another mowing or two, and use any Three Way product.
  5. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions. How about using a granular weed and feed?...Thanks
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

IMO.....granular sucks! I am not sure if it would get any control on the Onion as it probably wouldn't stick due to no leaf surface.

If you can't apply liquid, I would just buy a small pump sprayer and a gallon of Trimec or something like it.
  7. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You're familiar with Lesco, so go there and get their granular 0-0-8 Momentum 'elite' weed control in 30# bags. Although it has an analysis, it has no nitrogen, so you can 'spot' use it only where the weeds are if you want. The 'elite' size particle is VERY light, like sand, so you'll NOT want to apply it on a windy day! For onion, mow the lawn 1st, and /or apply when the dew is on the ground. If the weeds are everywhere, and you want to fertilize everything too, they carry a Momentum 'elite' size with something like a 21-0-12 with iron. Good Luck!