New grass...lots of weeds

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Zipster, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Zipster

Zipster LawnSite Member

I had a new lawn hydroseeded in early June. Now the grass is coming up, but the weeds are growing like crazy. I've got many different kinds of weeds including crabgrass.

I've read that you shouldn't put down and broadleaf weed killer on a new lawn until you have cut it 3-5 times. Another problem is that the grass isn't really growing in a lot of places. It grew to about 1-2 inches then stopped, so a lot of the grass isn't even seeing the lawn mower blade when I mow to knock down the weeds.

is their anything I can do this year to start killing some of these weeds?
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I had hydro seeding done in March and I now have the same issues. You should be able to consult with whoever installed the lawn. But my guy told me to use a starter fert every 4-6 weeks through the summer. Then in the Fall (Sept) I am going to slice seed and do a round of weed control and regular fert. I think it will take me a year or 2 to get the lawn in shape.

3. Zipster

Zipster LawnSite Member

It's very frustrating knowing you can't really do anything about it right now. I'm hoping to put down some broadleaf killer in September then wait a couple of weeks to aerate and overseed. Then next spring I'll put down a pre-emergent and start the real battle with the weeds.