New grass - new pool

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 2fatguyslawncare, Mar 15, 2008.

1. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

I was hoping to get some advice and ideas regarding what is likely to be my first job. I sold a spring clean-up and aeration job to a guy, and it led to another add-on but the add-on is a little out of my knowledge.

This man put an in-ground pool in last year, and the ground surrounding the pool walkway was never finished and this spring he would like to see grass planted. Right now, we literally cant see anything as we still have a heavy snow pack (Snowing as I type....) so I have him on my schedule for April 11th, thinking that may be the first chance to get at the ground.

I plan to go there that day, with a measuring wheel, estimate forms, calculator, digital camera and soil tester. But beyond that it starts to get cloudy. I of course want to do the right thing, as this guy hires a lawn company to fertilize (Not something I am licensed for yet....) and a separate lawn care/landscaper (And that business is mine to steal.....) :)

So thats the background - now the question... What is the best way to plant new grass in the spring and get results... All I would do is clean the soil, add some top-soil with some sort of weed control, seed and cover. BUT, I have read enough on here to know I am probably missing some major components.

Thanks for the advice...

2. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

usually around pools we push people to go with sod. Nobody wants muddy/dirty water tracked into the pool. Without knowing how big of a hardscape/patio he has around it, I would suggest you have him go with sod for instant results. All you would need to do is see what the soil looks like, add some if needed, or just grade and lay the sod.
  3. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

EA Quinn, thanks. I will look into how to do sod... Seems pretty simple but I have been surprised before.

4. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Sod would prob. be your best bet, he's gonna want that grass looking nice for the pool opening! You would want to think about the weed control and trying to establish a new lawn anyway, usually the two dont mesh.
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

first of all, sod, second you cant spray weed control legally so dont. seed, sod and weed control of any kind dont work together anyways. unless you want dead grass and sod.

just prepare and smooth the soil, lay fresh sod(make sure to bit the ends together right and off set the joints for the best job) and water daily heavy till rooting happens and then taper off . you can however fertilize before the new sod is laid to encourage rooting, but make sure you put it down at the right rate, dont guess.