New Grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by miltthemower, Jun 23, 2008.

1. miltthemower

miltthemower LawnSite Member

I just seeded my clients lawn about two weeks ago. I have been watering it every day for at least half hour on one side half hour on the other. Problem that I see is that it is growing in bunches. The sprinkler can not cover the entire yard. I have moved the sprinkler around to cover other areas but I do not see any grass growing.

What should I do to solve the problem? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

What kind of grass seed did you put down i.e. centipede, bermuda, rye?
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

A half hour is probably long enough to float the seed and move it into low spots. Better to run it long enough to soak up your cover material 2 , even, 3 times per day. (maybe 10-15 minutes?)

You did pretty good though - getting it to grow this time of the year in GA. Must be hot already down there. I got some KBG to germinate that was planted the first week in June , but our temps only hit the 80s briefly and we did have our "monsoon season" during that time.

I would let the stuff grow that sprouted and concentrate on over seeding. Are you sitting in clay as well?
  4. miltthemower

miltthemower LawnSite Member

I put down Scotts Bermuda Grass Seed, Scotts Starter Fertilizer, Tilled the ground and had a truck deliver fresh topsoil, and straw. The problem is the sprinkler is not covering the entire area. I do not want my client to hold this against me when it comes time to pay.

Also, I do not want to run her water for hours or stand out there and move around a sprinkler. I did suggest that once the grass grows we will have to over seed in certain areas. Have yet to hear a response from her.

Also this is GA so it is all about GA clay and how to work around it.
  5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

So you havent been paid and you are watering it. Man I would never do that. Payment upon completion, most guaranteed to grow and something will, given detailed instructions and checked on several times a week for the first couple. About 7 of 10 follow instructions. The 2 of 3 about half of what they should. The last does nothing.

Biggest problem is not getting enough water. Somehow moist is interpreted as once every 3 days.

Last week I did a 1800 foot grade job. Guy came home and watered for several hours (too long). That night it rained a lot. The next morning I get a call that he has footprints all over the yard and the erosion mats are torn up. Well his neighbors dog got loose and someone chased him up the hill. He felt I should fix it on my dollar. I pulled out the contract and showed him what he signed. He got billed.

3 weeks ago I did an install. Lady spent 7K on plants and $250 on lawn repair. I stopped by 3 days in a row. The grass is growing nice and half the plants where dry. Turns out she felt the grass needed it more since the plants are warrantied. The sprinkler didnt reach the ends of the beds to reach these plants. I again pulled out the contract and showed her what she agreed to. She now makes sure all the plants get watered.

My point is that you need to protect yourself, and educate the customer. Then you need to babysit them, and correct them when they are wrong. Most of the time they want results, but are too lazy to make sure it gets done right. When they know that you wont fix it for free then the job gets done right more often.
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Never install a full lawn with only a sprinkler in the summer time. I thought you were talking about your own place. If the client wants grass on a sprinkler do only as much as the sprinkler can cover at a time.

If they blow that bit of watering who cares. take the money and tell them you will try again in the fall.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

What would be the best way to restore a lawn lacking top soil? My thoughts are this, cut existing grass down as low as possible, re-grade the entire yard area with new sifted top soil, seed and straw everything. Leave it up to the customer to water and have this in writing on the contract?