1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Grasshopper Arrived !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I picked up my new Grasshopper 428D midmount on Thurs. and started mowing with it this weekend. It has the 72" deck and the 28 HP Kubota engine. It performs even better than I thought it would. I had no scalping with a 2.25" cut on a 3.0 acre, industrial site with very rough ground. I was mowing a 10 day growth of damp clover, chickweed,henbit,ryegrass, and bermuda grass. The deck never plugged and the diesel never even lugged down. I was able to mow in about half the time it normally takes when using my 60", 25HP Kohler-powered JD 665. This is truly one great machine and IT LOOKS GREAT on my trailer. You should see the looks I am getting from my competitors.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Glad to hear the success story! Good luck with it, I know the clover and weeds are bad here too!
  3. Lawnshark

Lawnshark LawnSite Member

I am glad to hear that you like your Grasshopper. We own a Woods mower that was made by grasshopper and is basically a 618D with orange paint and we love it. Does the 428 stripe well? I have seen some of the best looking stripes with Grasshoppers. (no offense to the Dixie Chopper guys)
  4. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Congrats on the new ride!!! Do you feel like a proud new dad with it? hehehehe Have to buy cigars and hand them out to the competition!!!

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like an animal of a machine-that 28hp must make the 25 kohler feel like itss running on one cylinder.
  6. Mowingman

from Texas

I noticed the weeds did stripe pretty nice. It seemed to stripe better than either my JD or my Bobcat. :)
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Congratulations ! Is that a new model this year? How much was it?
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Man I'm jealous. ;)
    I love the looks of those Hoppers.
  9. Mowingman

from Texas

Yes, it is a new model this year. Previously the midmount was only available with the 21HP Kubota. This new model has the 28HP Kubota eng. The factory is going to make only a limited number of them this year. Some dealers don`t even know they are available. I paid 12,450.00 + tax for mine.
  10. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

Mowingman I was working w/ my dealer today on a new 428D that was going to come in today, I had a question about the fuel use, what is it - hours per gallon, tank size and so on.