New Grasshopper , Every Year!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Sep 26, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My friend, Jim buys a new Grasshopper($10,000)every year. The one he bought this spring is for sale right now($8000). His reasoning is that he doesn't want any mower payments over the winter. He doesn't always find a buyer in the fall. Most of the time it's not sold until next spring. Personally, I would hold on to it for at least 2 or 3 years. What would you do?

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

sell it.

That's me personally 'cuz I dislike wrenching on stuff.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The Dixie Chopper I bought in 1995 is still used every day. I replaced a 1993 Chopper this year with a 2001 diesel Chopper. I used to replace the John Deeres every year or two, but that's because they were breaking down and I just wanted another one that I hoped wouldn't break down. My opinion is this, it they are running fine and holding together, use them and make money since they are all paid for.

4. CommercialCuts

CommercialCuts LawnSite Member
    from Mo

Hold on to that equipment, let it make you some money.If it starts nickel and dimin ya get rid of it then. Ive got a toro 255z, kohler motor, no service calls 3 seasons running.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

It's almost like a car, once you drive it off the lot it loses 30% of its value. Why not hold on to it for a couple years and then get rid of it. atleast make the money that you lost in depreciation.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it's costing him $2000.00 a year to use it anyways, he'd be better off to lease it. Especially if he's still paying for it through the winter.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah! Oh, wait a minute it's a Grasshopper...it's broke :D

Mine sits broken right now after dumping over $1000 in it last year and $700 this year....doing all the work myself.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

That sounds like a lot of money being dumped into it. How may hours does it have on it?

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Keith, What year is your Grasshopper and whats wrong with it. I've got two 725's, a 97' and a 99'.

10. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I just traded my '99 721D and my '96 725 for a new DC s'burb'n turb'n and could not be happier. I thought my new flatlander could cut grass, but this baby is definitely a nasty cat to clean up after. I mowed approximately 10 acres this evening at an apartment complex is just over 90 minutes. Awesome machine! I've had fair luck with the grasshoppers, but have had my share of problems too. Broken drive shaft on the 721 which wiped out the radiator(warranty thank goodness), regulator on the 725, both final drives on the 725, ignition module on the 725, so when a great deal presented itself I couldn't refuse and also am one happy camper. You need to try one of these beasts and become a DC believer. Lynn