1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Grasshopper Mid-Mount Models

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

As some of you may know, one of my neighbors is a mechanic at a Grasshopper/Kubota/Wright/Snapper Commercial dealer. He sends me stuff via his mechanic, even a surprise demo unit once. Anyways, Grasshopper has made some improvements and added/replaced a few models. I'm talking just about the mid-mounts.

In the 200 series they have added the Kohler powered
    223/52 223/61
    227/52 227/61 227/72

In the 300 Series they have added the Kubota powered
    322D/61 322D/72 w/new engine cowling

Also the liquid cooled Kawasaki powered (1st Kawi unit)
    327/61 327/72

Also worth mentioning is a model that has been around that some may not know about that fits a serious niche
    which is the only mower I know of to sport the liquid cooled Kohler Aegis.

Just thought I would put it out there for the enthusists, shoppers and just a general heads-up for those that might be interested.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It sounds like there putting real engines on there mowers now.

Thanks John
  3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Grasshopper, another manufacturer who can't be bothered to get a dealer in one of the most lucrative markets in the U.S., namely Fairfax County, VA.

In the year 2000 census, Fairfax County ranked No. 2 in per-capita income for all U.S. counties, yet only two or three manufacturers bother to establish dealerships up here. The rest are sticking their heads in the sand in towns with populations of 3,298. Yeah, great idea. They'll move some inventory out there, alright.

They are deluding themselves into thinking that I'm going to drive 120 miles to buy their machines. Too bad, they're leaving this market to Scag and eXmark, and to a lesser extent, John Deere. Who is the moron with Grasshopper, Dixie Chopper and others who decided that the northern Virginia market isn't worth bothering with? Thank God they aren't running my company.
  4. Mark McC

5. John Gamba

from ct

Have you called them with this info?
  6. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

Just heard about the new engines yesterday. Haven't got all the info yet, but everything I've heard sounds great.

Hey Mark, maybe you should consider putting in a dealership yourself.
  7. John Gamba

from ct

There you go!!!
  8. Mark McC

Good Lord, if I had the money to set up a dealership, I just might. A dealership with decent backing could make money by tripping and falling on its face around here if they have a decent product.

Anyone wanna invest in a new dealership up this way (in your case, John, it'd be down this way)?
  9. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

Talk to some of the distributors for the machines you would want to carry, find out what they require in terms of inventory etc. and look around for investors. They're out there and if it's as wide open as you say, and I have no reason to doubt that it is, you should be able to find someone to go in with you.
  10. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a grasshopper dealer 1 mile from my house that I rent stuff from. I looked them over one night after hours and my opinion CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. I'm sorry, they seemed flimsy and I know I'd kill one in about 50 or so hours.