1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New grasshopper owner needs helps

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BrianC636, Oct 25, 2007.

1. BrianC636

BrianC636 LawnSite Member

Hi everyone, I bought my first real mower last week and need some help leveling the deck.

It's a 2004 (per the SN) 721D2 grasshopper with a 61" deck. I have read my owners manual and says it needs to be within 1/8" of an inch front to back but doesn't show the best way to do it. I'm currently going through it and replacing the things that have been neglected (all bearings mostly but a few of the bushings also) but need some tips on how to level the deck. Are there only the 2 adjustment rods on the side I need to change to get the deck level? I also replaced the bushings and bolts where the deck attatches to the tractor.

Does grasshopper make service manuals for these things?

Thanks for all of the help.

Brian Chastain
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, Can't help on this one. These units are not around my area so never worked on one.

Below is the only manuals I have been able to find for these units, You may give them a call about a full service manual.

Good Luck
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, your dealer can get you an owners manual that has all the service and adjustment info. in it. The rods on each side of the deck are used to adjust the front to back pitch.
  4. BrianC636

I ordered a owners manual direct the first day I had it but all it does is tell you that the pitch needs to be with 1/8", not how to adjust it.

I wish the offered a factory service manual for these.
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

If I remember right you'll see a large rods on each side of the deck. These rods connect from the rear pivot to the front caster pivots. Loosen the jamb nuts and turn the rod. Get the deck the same from side to side first. Then adjust your pitch. I would shoot for 1/4 inch measured at the blade tips. Before you do anything set the deck to the height that you'll be cutting at. Then do your adjustments.
  6. BrianC636

How in the world do you measure the blades on the left side? Is there a tool I can purchase to make this easier?

Good thing I'm not doing this for a living.......
  7. khouse

I bought this plastic John Deere measuring device off of ebay to do that. It works pretty good. Just measure the deck and you'll be fine.
  8. cleanlawn

cleanlawn LawnSite Member

the long rods on either side give you your side to side adjustments, and the short rod on the discharge side gives you your front to back pitch. but khouse is right do the side to side first set at the height your going to cut at.
  9. khouse

Thanks Cleanlawn for adding the rest of the adjustment info. It's been at least 5 years since I worked on a Hopper. They are pretty nice machines!
  10. BrianC636

Thanks for the info. I think I'm slightly (only slightly this time) confused. I would think the long rods would adjust your pitch since there is one on each side and the short one (discharge side) would help you set your side to side. Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong.

Thanks again for the help.