new gravely 34 good or bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by windshadow, Nov 26, 2005.

1. windshadow

windshadow LawnSite Member

I am thinking of getting a gravely 34 new. What do you guys think of them ,do the mulch good, how are they in the morning dew ? what are the good and the bads on this modle any information would be great.thanks

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about the 34Z. But my PM 260 couldn't mulch to save its life. Gravely's idea of mulching is to block off the discharge hole and pray. No baffling, no clue.

Some will argue otherwise, but in my opinion that mower is strickly a flat land vehicle and a servicable unit but not exactly top notch.

I own a 36 Scag Zcat for my big back yards with small gates. IMO a better although pricier mower. But, for the extra $1000 I got a 3 blade deck, 19 HP, the option of a real mulch kit, a much stronger built frame, faster ground and cut speed and much better dealer support (my Gravely dealer is the WORST).

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

How much did you pay for your scag? They look like a great little mower. I would probably trust the scag more than a gravely.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Wise Choice :)

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

As a Gravely dealer, I can tell you that the 34Z is a very heavy duty, well designed commercial machine. Do a search here on Gravely, and you will see that the owners of them are very happy with them. They have plenty of power, and with the mulch kit, do a great job of mulching.
    Precision, why don't you buy a mulch kit for your 260, instead fo going the cheap route and just using a cover plate. Gravely has a very well designed mulch kit for the 260 that includes mulching baffles and mulch blades. Have you not read your owners manual or looked at the available literature for your machine? The cover plate is not "Gravely's idea" of a mulch kit. It is just your idea of one.No mower will mulch all that well with just a chute cover plate installed.
    The Skag is not a good machine for 36" wide limited access. It is over 36" wide, and will not fit through most 36" wide gates.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It also weighs 800 plus pounds:cry: . Good looking mower.

John

7. southtx

southtx LawnSite Member

I got a new 32 gravely with the mulch on it last season and I love the thing. I live down in texas were there is alot of st. agu. grass and it does a great job on tall,wet,and mulching...it has never let me down. I think if I need another mower if I get any bigger it will be another gravely. The things are made like a tank and very easy to work with. The new ones that came out this year I think are diff. from mine but Im like I said the next one I will get will be another gravely. Im very happy it and its easy to get in and out of gates...out of 30 yards I got to mow 5 backyards with a 21 toro.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely at the time I bought it and when I went looking again later didn't not offer a baffled kit or at least it was not in any literature at my dealer. His part number for a mulch kit came up as a cover plate. Also according to the Gravely website, the fully baffled mulching kit is available for the new 60" models ONLY. So perhaps I was not mistaken when I tried to buy one earlier.
    I take offense at any suggestion that I took the cheap route in buying a cover plate and expecting it to mulch. I was not stupid enough to buy that. I know what mulching means. Perhaps I am discolored by the complete ineptitude of my dealer, but we both looked at his accessory book.

I am not saying that the Gravely 34Z will not work and work well for many people. But, compared to the Scag 36 Zcat or even the Gravely PM 252 / 260 series it is not nearly as heavily built.

Again due to the extreme incompetence of my dealer I am very likely in the market for a replacement from a different brand come spring.

Gravely makes very good mowers. I really like my PM260. Gravely Corporate has been very supportive and helpful, but I am not making a 1.5 hour trip (each way) to get competent service. Not when I can go 10 minutes to Scag and Toro, or 30 minutes to Exmark or Grasshopper. Around here Dixie Chopper, Cub Cadet and Wright Stander are also represented by a fool, a different one but incompetent none the less. And yes I would qualify putting blades on upside down on my demo mower as less than confidence inspiring, then getting mad at me when I said the cut quality sucked, until I figured out the problem.

As far as the Scag being wider than 36" have you ever used one, have you ever measured it. Because according to my tape measure the widest spot (the deck) is exactly 35.25". According to the Gravely website the 34 is 35.3" wide. Not exactly what I would call a big difference.

9. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

gravely was ok for me,except for the pistol grip controls.could never get them set right

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Are you looking at a Z or a wb? My 44z has performed flawlessly. Dont know what Precisions' post was about, but I put a mulching kit on mine and it has mulched damn well IMO. It consisted of new baffles and a cover for the side discharge chute, couldnt be more happy with it.