New Gravely 36" walk-behind question???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mbeck, Jun 8, 2008.

1. mbeck

mbeck LawnSite Member

Hey guys new to this forum . Found it shopping last night for a new mower. Have been doing a lot of reading from the previous threads on walk-behinds on this great site. I am in the market to purchase my first walk-behind. I think I have narrowed it down to the Gravely 1336 fx with 13hp saki. Not looking for anything special just need it for some larger size yards I have that my big mowers will not fit through gates. Tired of push mowing them with my little honda. Price is $2800 new. Has the gear drive with fixed deck. My other option is a 2 year old scag 36" walk behind basically same mower with unknown hours and no warranty for $2400. Any opinions good or bad. I will be more than happy to look at other models also. Just that gravely and scag dealers are 5 min from my house.

2. Cornraker

Cornraker LawnSite Member

personally i use Gravelys exclusively. One of the main factors i use them is that their fixed decks are not fixed like other manufacturers. They have spring loaded pins that you pull out from the side of the deck and lock into slots which are marked how many inches high the cut will be. Pretty slick IMO

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

After much thought and whining, I'm about to buy a 1536 Gravely Prosteer, myself. Those who've given me feedback have nothing but great things to say about the Gravely.

I'd buy new instead of used. You get warranty, can maintain it properly from day 1, and don't have to worry about what the previous owner did or didn't do for the used machine...

4. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

I have a gravely 34. It is too damn big for what a 34 should be imo. 650lbs (think that is what I read), Do not like it. It is the 1334

And that scag is over priced. I would keep looking

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree on the Gravely GR1334, I personally hate gear drive machines !!

6. CFB

Just checked gravely's site it is 530lbs. After owning this piece I'm getting a quick for my gated yards.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

That mower only weighs 460#. Run of the mill for a walk behind.

8. CFB

You are right, I was looking at the 36". I still hate it. Just seems huge

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

There aren't too many smaller than that. I like weight. It indicates a well built machine... (Coming from a guy who seems to beat the living crap out of them...)

10. CFB

I think it is the design of the pins to adjust deck heights. Makes it heavier than it should be, (similar to a floating deck...w/o the floating), and just longer. If I were looking at gear 36, I'd be looking at bobcat personally.