New Gravely 48" walk behind, what an amazing machine!!

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dwost, May 20, 2002.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

For everyone that is in the quest for the perfect walk behind, I would like to share my opinions and what I did to make my selection. All I can say is WOW:D :D This is one bad A#% cutting machine! I just took delivery this past Friday of my new 1548, floating deck walk-behind and couldn't wait to get in that first mow!! I'm using this solely for residential use and did my homework on all the machines available under the $3k mark. This is what I used to make my decision.

Models reviewed:

Exmark - 48" Metro fixed deck, w/gear, ECS, 15hp Kawi V-Twin ($2,899)

Toro - 48" Pro fixed deck, w/gear, T-bar, 14hp Kawi single ($2,700)

Bobcat - 48" fixed deck, w/gear, Pistol, 15hp Kawi V-Twin ($2,700)

Scagg - 48" fixed deck, w/gear, pistol, 17hp Kawi V-twin ($3,000) This was a great deal for the mower, but toward the high end of my price range.

Snapper - 48" fixed deck, w/gear, U-handle, 15hp kohler ($2,799)

I looked at all of these and narrowed it down to the Toro and Exmark. I was leaning toward the Exmark simply because of the customer loyalty and history of mfg a great product. I called one last Toro dealer who happens to sell Gravely and he mentioned there was a new Gravely unit that I may want to check out. I went down to the shop and as soon as I saw the 1548 I was sold!! Hands down, the most rigid, solid mower I've seen. When he told me the price, I about fell down. The deal he gave me was cheaper than the eXmark and the mower had features that would put me in the $3,500 price range for any of the mfg listed above. I'll get to the price in a minute :cool:

The benefits/differences I noticed right off were:

-16" WHEELS (as opposed to 13" on everything else)
    -6 GALLON TANK (most had 5)
    -7 GAUGE STEEL ALL AROUND (10ga top w/7 on bottom of most)
    -ANTI SCALP WHEELS ALL AROUND (all others had 0)
    -ELECTRIC PTO (everyone else was manual)

The deal:

Retail price on it was $3,150 (which is still damn good for what you get) He told me he would let it go for $2,999. I asked him if he would go any lower and he came back with $2,875!!!! I went home, cleared it with the boss (my wife is a saint!!...:) ) and the next day walked out with a total bill of $3,047 out the door!!!

My lawn:

We moved into our house last year and I purchased a used honda rider with a 38" deck from my neighbor which turned out to be a great little mower, however, too small for my yard and was taxed trying to cut thick lush grass. With trimming my total time used to be in the 3-3.5 hour range. My first mow with the new toy took me total of 1 hour and about another 15 min with trimming!! I was able to walk it in 3rd gear. AND the cut you ask?? amazing, it stripes with the best of them and left a beautifully manicured carpet for my neighbors to admire. :D I couldn't be happier with my choice

My next item is a sulky which I will probably get this week. I'm leaning toward Proslide or the True Trak. Any suggestions or feedback on rigging the True Trak to the Gravely?
  2. tovoninc

tovoninc LawnSite Member

Glad to hear about your Gravely experience. I have always had a sentimental spot for Gravely since I grew up using the old convertible 2 wheelers. You did a great deal of homework.

Where in Ohio are you located? We are located between Troy & Springfield.

Best regards,

3. dwost

Thanks Tony, We are right on Lake Erie. Between Toledo and Cleveland. Are you familiar with Cedar Point?? :) It's about a 10 minute car/boat ride from our house.
  4. CJC

CJC LawnSite Member

How did your Pro G work out over the past season? Sounds like you got off to a good start).

I purchased similar unit (1548, fixed deck), for similar price late in the season, when I moved into new home (0.75 acres). I am in southeastern Pennsylvania.

I've been very pleased with the unit. I demo'd two units, one with double blade kit, and the other with mulch kit. I chose the mulch kit, anticipating using it on leaves, and it worked great. Over three week period, once per week, and all the leaves are gone! (completely shredded). I did have to go over some parts of the yard 2 times, to remove all traces of leaves, but it sure beats raking.

Next spring I'm planning to remove the mulch kit and install double blades for use in spring/summer (I'll reinstall the mulch kit in fall).
  5. dwost

Hi CJC, my unit worked great this past year. The results are amazing. I'm extremely pleased with the unit also. I'm interested in the same accessories that you are. I've posted several times on the Gravely forum when it was active about the double blade kit. I wanted to get one for the unit when I bought it, however, they were still in production. From what I've heard, the kit is finally available and now shipping to the dealers for about $65. I'm still trying to decide what to do, I'm now leaning toward the mulch kit as well. I don't have alot of leaves, but would like to eliminate the blow out on my beds. How did the unit work in taller grass? I'm thinking of doing what you suggested and get both so I can switch back and forth. I've also heard you can use the doubles with the mulch kit installed. The only additional Item I will be purchasing this spring will be a sulke. Definitely want to be able to mow comfortably in 4th or 5th gear...:D:D

You may want to check out my post here I detailed how to build a striping kit (roller vs. the flap that comes on the unit) for my machine. The results are far superior to what you are used to when using the stock flap!! I'll attach a couple pics of my yard so you can see what the kit does. I took these right after my last mow of the season about 2 weeks back. Keep me posted as to what you do.

What part of PA are you in?? I'm from Doylestown originally.
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Dub fan are ya?? I have a 92 MK 2 GTi. It rocks. No mods, yet.

If you want a steerable velke like the true-trac, then the trimmer trap bull rider will fit rite to yours.
  7. dwost

results with the new stripe kit

8. dwost

9. dwost

10. dwost

Great "old school" ride you have there! I've already got my 2yo conditioned on european cars and look to put him in an MKII for his first car!! You need to check out this months "Eurotuner" as they are doing a spot on early dubs. Ther is a sick MK II on the cover. I have yet to read it but it's waiting for me at home. I currently have a '00 B5 Passat that has a few mods (chip, BOV, pedals, ss kit, etc) Will be doing wheels and suspension this spring just in time to take it to Mid-Ohio for some track time....:D:D:D