1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new gravely outfront

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lickliss, Dec 24, 2006.

1. lickliss

lickliss LawnSite Member

Has anybody operated the new gravely outfront. I understand they have started the mower in the southern us? Thoughts? Especially interested in feedback on the Kohler engine, mower unit length and anticipated productivity. Of course general impressions as to quality or ease of use and maintenance. thanks

gravely 260, 144
    toro proline 36
    gravely 21
    stihl trim, blow, edge
    h&h tugged by ford
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

As in their new walkbehind outfronts, "Rapids"? Or the old old old "outfronts"?
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

As in the new front mount mower, like Kubota, Grasshopper and Exmark's Frontrunner. I saw a brochure at my dealer a couple months ago. I started a thread about it but very little response.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's interesting. I haven't heard of it nor is it on their website. Kubota has a new outfront mower!?
  5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

No, I was saying that the new Gravely outfront is like a Kubota, Grasshopper or Exmark front mount mower.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It is slow and clumsy to negotiate tight landscape, it is kind a long like wb with sulky. I only saw older LCO use them but never see outfront mower on young LCO trailers. Midmount is king.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They are being re-invented. I believe we are going to see many more of these type machines in the near future. They give you the best of both worlds. They give you the reach and trim capability while still giving you the maneuverability of a Z. They are a little longer and take up a bit more trailer space, but nothing like the older front decks used to.
  8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

reinvent what? I think it is being phased out and extinct cause nobody buys them. Basically a large wb with sitdown sulky, there is no way it can match 360 degree zero turn of the Z.
  9. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

This new Gravely front mount ZTR is very similar in design to the front mount Grasshoppers or Woods F series. The Exmark FrontRunner is another example of a front mount ZTR. They are all true ZTR and the engine is in the back.

You may be thinking of the 3-wheel type mowers with yoke steering. The engine is in front of you. Yes, some manufacturers still make them.
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I thinks its the woods mower. They reinvented it in the 90's and are updating it again.

The front mounts beat the mid mounts in trim ability and not crushing the grass down with its front tires before it cuts it. They also have the ability to accept out front attachments EASILY. You can cut faster then a mid mower because the mower lifts the grass faster then the grass thats matted down from the mid mower.

Give me a RE invented top notch out front any day. Oh did you hear the one about the tilt up deck???