1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Gravely - Question about suspicious oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgrol, Jan 22, 2011.

1. sgrol

sgrol LawnSite Member

Just got a new HD 48" Gravely zero turn. It has a 24 HP Kawasaki engine. When I got it home I checked the oil and it was milky in color, not the typical clear brown. To me this suggests water in the oil. Or - is this some kind of special break in oil? Doesn't even have 1 hour on it yet. Any thoughts?
  2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

If it is liquid cooled I would be worried a little. If air cooled condensation or fuel in the oil could cause it. I would drain the oil and put fresh stuff in.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. sgrol

sgrol LawnSite Member

I sent a message to Gravely so I will wait and see what they say. If I am not satisfied with their reply I will sample the oil and get it analyzed. If it ends up contaminated I will try to take it back to the dealer. It's not right spending $5K on a new mower to have this kind of problem (if it is a problem).
  4. 7625

7625 LawnSite Member

I would carry it back to the dealer and show it to him now and ask for another mower.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's just condensation. Although the mower supposedly only has 1 hour on it, it has probably been started 100 times to move it around. Since the engine never got warm enough to burn off any condensation from each cool off period it accumulates moisture and makes the oil a little ugly. The dealer shouldn't have a problem changing the oil for you for free.

I said supposed hours because hour meters are super easy to disconnect.
  6. scagman52

scagman52 LawnSite Senior Member

To me it's a no brainer..Do yourself a favor and bring it back to the dealer you bought it from.
  7. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

Richard is exactly right. That's just condensation, the dealer's normally change the oil before delivery. It's pretty common to see that when they are moving the mowers out every morning so they can be seen. They should change it for you of course, but I wouldn't sweat it that much. Over time, condensation can get into any engine. This is why they say to change your oil every 3,000 miles OR every 3 months. Oil can get contaminated when an engine hasn't even been run.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I can tell you straight up. If there is any water mixed in the oil whether it's from condensation or not. The metal parts including the bearings and crankshaft will have rust spots on them. NOT GOOD for a brand new mower. This will lead to premature engine failure. I'd want a different mower and if they couldn't provide that, I'd return it and get my money back.
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

ia gree, take it back
  10. sgrol

sgrol LawnSite Member

Dealer offered to come pick it up and change the oil & filter. I told him I wanted it changed out with another one. After talking to the powers that be he agreed to swap me out with a new one. Big relief for me. Thanks to all for the opinions.