New Gravely rapid xz!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Espacesverts, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

Hi guys,

I went to my dealer yesterday and he talked to me about the new Gravely rapid xz frontmount. Wow! This mower sounds very good. It will come with 3 choices of engine 25, 27, 30 and three choices of decks 52, 60 and 72. He will have one in store in about 2 weeks. I can't wait to see this! I already have a Gravely ztr Pm148Z and I want something bigger like the 60 or 72. And I like the benefit of the frontmount for my need. Is somebody on this forum that have seen them in person or have driven them??

I have no Grasshopper, Exmark and Wood dealer in my area...The only frontmount dealers are John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, Gravely and Walker ( but they too slow for my need). And I don't really want to spend that much money for a big 4wd drive frontmount with steering because I like the ztr feeling and manoeuvrability.

P.S. I'm French so sorry about my english:p

2. Espacesverts

..............................!

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I had a chance to ride the Exmark frontrunner a while back. Didn't get to mow with it though. I haven't see the new Gravely frontmount yet, but I have seen the older front mounts. Woods had one like also. These are Grasshopper imatators. I like the feel of the front mounts, but they don't sell well in my area. Dealers won't stock 'em because they don't sell like mid-mounts. They are also higher maintenance.

4. Espacesverts

Ok good. But can you tell me why they are higher maintenance?

5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Front mount decks have a lot more moving parts to wear out. The newer ones have electric over hydraulic deck lifts, that haven't been real reliable. I know of two personally that have been back to the dealer more than once because the deck lifts either leak down while your mowing or just quit working altogether. I can't afford to have the deck leak down and scalp a manicured lawn.

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

The gravely looks like a good machine but can I ask why not a mid mount like the 260Z? It'll take up less room on the trailer.

7. Espacesverts

I already have a midmount and I love it but I have so much accounts with a lot of obstacles. I talked with different contractor in my area and they all have frontmount ( kubota deere walker) and they love them. And finally, trailer space will not be a problem so why not try one of these monster!

8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Price is holding me back... its almost as much as a diesel mid!

9. lickliss

lickliss LawnSite Member

You can read my "review" under my gravely xz post. I have spent more time on it and like it beter every day. I would offer the following advice. Unless you are mowing flat fields get the 60 inch, 72 will present scalping problems sooner or later. The mower is really new, don't be surprised if your dealer is still figuring out how to operate it. I would think twice unless I had a great relationship with my dealer. I am running the 30 horse, my dealer sold two smaller engines.