new Gravely slower than old-NEW w/pics PLEASE VIEW AND HELP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johnnyreb, Jun 28, 2008.

1. johnnyreb

johnnyreb LawnSite Member

Posted this earlier this week--Can you guys please check these pics out and tell me if this is most likely problem? new machine running much slower than old these are the only diff (see pics) the machines sound the same and the axels spin with the same speed--just not the same ground/tire speed--could the location of this spring be the difference? new spring is level and the old is slanted

newgrvlysprng.JPG

oldgrvlysprng.JPG

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes. Old setup has more spring tension, so, belt grips pullys tighter and mower travels faster.

3. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

depending on age of the old one, didint they change the trans pulleys to help reduce belt slippage? I know they had an update kit for belt slippage. Simple way to find out. Measure all the pulleys old and new, and find the difference.. Could the newer one have the motor turning slower? hope this helps!! later chris

4. johnnyreb

thanks for the replies fellas--Mowingman is this just the way they(Gravely) do it now or is that something that the previous owner would have done himself on the old one--Snapper the mowing turning slower/faster---how would that be done are you sayin that possibly the new one was made slowed or that the older one may have been tweaked in some way--could that be done? the older one(and another used one I have) have two holes in the top of the engine between the air filter and pull cord and the new one only has one-do these mean anything to the speed

5. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

the engine rpm's could be different between the two, but i doubt it is enough to cause a big speed difference. I would compare the sizes of the pulleys on the transmission shafts, the wheels, and if still nothing the pulley under the tranny and on the motor. Some thing is making the new one slower. I believe the trans never changed. So you should be able to find the difference. I would say it is either the trans input pulley, or the pulleys on the out put shafts different. Does the new one have the notched shifter slot? What about the old one?

LAter chris

6. JABBERS

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Is there any slipage? If you come to a grade does it slow down?

7. johnnyreb

snapper, they both have notched shifters

jabbers, no slowing down necessarily, just slower speed period

thanks for the feedback guys, later