New guy and wondering what to buy??HELP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettergrass, May 6, 2004.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

I have been cutting grass threw the neighborhood for 3 years now just using a regular home lawn tractor and ive maintained 8 customers. Since i pulled in 4k last year just doing this on the side ive been motivated to start up a commercial company. I have a few questions for some of the professionals on this site.

First I have to buy a commercial mower cause obviously i cant be cutting all these lawns with my JD tractor. I have been looking at just about everything... and the closest dealer to my house sells gravley. How does everyone feel about them? Im also looking at ExMark and Scag just cause thats what i see the guys who come and cut the houses near me using. But mainly im looking for a 36' walk behind of some sort and obviosly want to get the best bang for my buck.

Next what all do i need to become official:

i know i need to buy insurance and not really sure who i need to go to, to get that so i need help there

Need to go get a business license from the goverment building near me

and thats all i know of right now.

Please help me i will greatly appreciate it

2. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Hi Brandyn. First of all, welcome to Lawnsite. Most guys here could throw a million ideas your way, but if you tell us what kind of budget do you have to work with those ideas will be more fit to your situation. The best advice I can give you is to add Lawnsite to your favorites and visit/read/ask questions often. This place is a wealth of information.

3. bettergrass

my budget for a mower is $3500 max right now and would rather not hit that.... I have a truck and already working on trailers and such

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I too am looking for a 36" walk behind, so far I've looked at exmark, toro, husqvarna, snapper, bradely, (mtd), billy goats 33" and so far the exmark,toro, snapper, husqvarna are all 2500 in my area thats with 36" deck belt driven fixed deck, bradley was 1500 for 32" and 2000 for 48" mtd was 1500 for 36" and billy goat was 1500 for 33". After compairing I think I'm going to go with the exmark, dealer is real close to my house and their product has such a good name plus i've used them before. The mtd from what i hear sucks, the bradley even though it has the same engine, trans as exmarks i heard it wasn't that great and the billy goat i heard leaves a bad cut. Thats my out look on those mowers.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Gravely is a great company, their mowers are incredibly tough, and built extremely well. Although I would try going with eXmark because of the ECS controls or a Toro for the T-Bar control system. Gravely's pistol grips (as well as all other pistol grips) will give your hands alot of trouble down the road.

Get the best mower for your properties. ie: can a 36" fit in the back of all your yards through a gate? Or if your yards don't have any fences you could possibly go with a larger deck.

6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second Jwing's comments on pistol grips. That's what's on the eXmark metro 36 I'm running and I gotta tell you: never again pistols, never again belts.

If you can spring for a hydro with something other than pistol grips, do so. Believe, you'll be better off.

7. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

I, myself just started up this past march, First was a visit to my CPA, so we could take care of all the paper work to become Incorporated once again.

Then all of the lincenses that are need to mow in fl. all with the regluar and business insurance.

I chose SCAG 36 walk behind, ya it's a belt drive but thats what i could afford, along withe the 2 cycle gear from Stihl, and two Echo Blowers, back pack&hand held.

The trailer 6.5x16 ft. Oya chain & good locks.:alien:

8. bettergrass

what is it that pistol grips will do to your hands?

9. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

carpal tunnel syndrome...

10. lonnie

lonnie LawnSite Senior Member

If you have decent hand strength you should be fine with pistol grips. I have no problems with it.