New guy from East TN

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DKJLawnCare, Nov 21, 2009.

1. DKJLawnCare

DKJLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hey guys, long time lurker here, I have posted in a couple of threads, but I figured I should formally introduce myself.

My name is David, I am a Nurse and so is my wife. But I only do that 3 days a week. I run DKJ Lawn Care on Thurs, Fri, and Sat. I am licensed and insured. We service the Anderson, Campbell areas, thinking about adding Knox county too. I had a couple of yards out at Norris this year

I was using a Craftsman LT1000 starting out, a craftsman 21" push mower, a Weedeater brand leaf blower, and two weed eater brand string trimmers. I have in the last couple of weeks upgraded, to a Stihl BR420 Magnum backpack blower, and an 06' Scag Tiger Cub 48". I am going to upgrade the trimmers, and pusher later on in the spring of 2010. I plan on getting a FS110 Trimmer, and a Stihl Edger. I would like to get a good commercial pusher too.

Anyway here are a few pictures. These were cut with the LT1000, I haven't cut anything besides my yard with the Scag yet. (WHAT AN UPGRADE. I LOVE IT). In the one picture, I hadn't picked up the leaves yet.

I know you all like pics, so here are some so far.

Oh yeah forgot to mention I pull my 5x8 Carry on with my Honda Ridgeline (I know some of you don't like them, but its what I have right now, and it is SO comfortable). I hope to upgrade to a 6x10 enclosed, and an F250, or 2500HD diesel in the next two years.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is our house, I started the landscaping after construction. I removed the plastic edging recently, I added a New dwarf alberta spruce beside the driveway, mulched around the new trees too, also added a pond, and finished the back deck. I know the grass still needs help too.. LOL

BEFORE - sorry couldn't re-size them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DURING
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I found a couple of pictures of the pond, Before I had really put many plants in, and a good one of the wife's maple, here they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

not bashing but are those regular block or rough face looks like a regular block basment house they never bricked whats the deal??? i have never seen this in home building .

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite!

4. DKJLawnCare

Are you talking about the basement on our house? That is regular block, it is very common in home building. There are at least 6 other homes in our sub-division that are built the same way.

They are going to be covered eventually we're just not sure which way we want to go with it.

We are looking at three options:
    1. Have it done in rock pattern stucco.
    2. Use something like the thin brick system.
    3. Use another type of stone, such as stack stone.

5. DKJLawnCare

Thank you, and you have some very good pictures too.

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

7. XLS

djk coo i got you so the basment isnt finished my family is masons and it looked like someone forgot to brick it and i knew it couldnt be bricked the way it wa built. but you are on the right path if stucco or think venner is your plans i was thinking personally that the basment house needed alot of infill looks good though.
    when you say it is common in building are you referring to the block in general or the process of leaving then exposes j/k we have laid 10's on millions of block and brick so i know they are common just was courious if that was a finished rough faced block design that you opted to use regular block on . or if your home wasnt completeed ( around here the veneer is finished before they home owner moves in) .

8. XLS

i like the ridgeline when and if you upgrade keep the 4 door idea

9. DKJLawnCare

LOL, I do love the Ridgeline, but we have some plans for possibly upgrading it too. My wife is wanting a new Camaro, so we maybe getting one of those, since our RL will be payed off Jan of 2010. Im thinking about trading the RL in on a Escalade. But I wont do that until I get my work truck.

As far as the block goes, most homes around here are left smooth. Our house we kinda got the shaft on anyway. It was supposed to have been built for $120,000 but Katrina hit, and it shot up to $166,000 due to the price of lumber increasing and all. Not to mention we had to settle for the top deck only and we lost the bonus room. Oh well we picked a bad time to build. But it still worked out for us as the home is still worth well over what we built it for.

If we could do it all over, I would have had my basement finished too, and if we could have built it 1 year sooner, we could have had it completely finished for less than $170,000.

We have already changed a lot. We had cheap counter tops, and we changed that to granite. We added the bottom deck. We have a lot to go but we figured we could add as we went. I almost have my small portion of the basement finished (game room)

We were pricing the block covering, we can have the stucco done for around $1,500 or I can do the brink veneer for about $3,000. Either option should turn out decent.

10. XLS

wow an escalade would only make you an envy pulling the scag j/k do you have any idea on a work truck?