New guy from MN!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hansen Lawns, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Hansen Lawns

Hansen Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey everybody, I have been reading almost everything in this forum for about 2 weeks now, haven't seen many people from Minnesota, whats up with that?!

Anyway, I guess I don't really have any questions since everything is pretty much answered already, but if I think of something i'll be sure to ask it.

I don't have much history in the Lawn Care market, but I've always done all the work on our lawns, and they seem to turn out really well. My buddy does the grounds-keeping for a bigger school with his dad during the spring/summer months so if there is anything I need to learn he will be there to help me out!

Well just wanted to introduce myself to everybody and see if there is anyone from the land of 11,842 lakes. :usflag:

Edit: I do have one question actually.. Do customers get annoyed when you do door-to-door? I was thinking this would be the most efficiant way of advertising, and wouldn't "cost" anything extra except my time.

2. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Hey! I am in MN also, well ND too. I am looking at starting up in the Fergus Falls/Fargo area for next summer. Looks like we will be learning together, as I dont have much lawn mowing experience either, just a love for the outdoors, and my personal yard(2 acres with a million oaks-i hate this time of yr, lol)

Cheers to you, and hopefully we both are successful![​IMG]

-Steve

3. Hansen Lawns

Wow that's crazy! We're in the EXACT same boat... Except I would never dream of selling my bikes! HA.
    Wait a minute... Is this the same steve thats in the National guard??

4. IMAGE

from midwest

Yes it is :usflag:

Who are you? How do you know me?

edit :: I know.... your initials are CH ?? right?

I still have a deal for you on that bike!

5. Hansen Lawns

Well this is a weird coincidence..
    This is Caleb Hansen, the guy that REALLY wants your X4! haha..
    So you're selling all your bikes? You were doing so well in the championships this year though...

6. IMAGE

from midwest

Yeah I actually WON the Open C and 250C in NDMA this yr. I even won a D23 +25b race in Staples on labor day. I am giving up more then just selling the bikes to do this. I had an offer to go live at a MX track in TX for the winter... I was supposed to leave last monday. :cry:

But I figure if I can make a successful business out of this, then in the future I can ride more. Its all about the big picture, and whats important. Racing at my age wont get me anywhere. But investing in myself, could take me along ways.

... but dont listen to my ramble... instead buy that x4 and I will come deliever it.

7. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

MN is da sh*t . I'm a Alexandria, MN guy. In the middle of all the 11,842 lakes. I'm in my 3rd year/4 of owning my own business. i may be able to help u out if you have any questions. I'm 19 and in college

8. Hansen Lawns

Ouch, thats tough.. but good decision definitely! (I'll still take your spot!)
    We got a little off topic, but if somebody could answer my question about door-to-door that would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get out in the neighborhood sooner than later because I plan to do some fall clean-up stuff.

9. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't go door to door, people get annoyed by that. what kind of equipment do ya got?

10. Hansen Lawns

Hey, are you going to ATC? I was planning to go there for Law Enforcement (to have a more stable income before building up my business) but i got F&$*'d out of it... they have really slow processing there so now I'm doing schooling online (which will be great, I will have plenty of time to work on advertising and getting my yards done!)

How did you go about doing your first advertising? Also, I'm kind of worried about going around trying to get business before owning all of my equipment, but I would like some security to help decide on equipment to buy, so I don't want to buy all my stuff to find out I have 10 teenie lawns to do..