1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Guy Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lakesidecutter, Jun 19, 2008.

1. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

I have had a successful lawn company for the last couple of years and am in the process of becoming a lic applicator. I am checking the different fert companies in my area and all seem to have similar products with not so similar prices. The problem is the support, two of the companies had specific spreaders they pushed and gave no information on any other spreader settings. Then I went to Lesco who seemed to have lots of service but a considerable higher price. I am wanting to run a couple of test bags on my property prior to putting it anywhere else yet I can not get much help. I know I run the numbers and calibrate but I would think that they would be a little more helpful. I assume they are like this in order to deter some of the fly by night operations. I guess I am looking for a little service.
  2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Every product has different settings. Read and follow the label. Get your license and insurance before doing anything for hire.
  3. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

I get that, I am only trying to figure out what products to use. All of the testing will be done on different parts of my yard. I was just hoping for a little more support from dealers.
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Try UAP. That's who we're using so far this year.
  5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd suggest using the best price/performance fert and controls you can get. That should be the first criteria for control and fert product selection. Then, contact the manufacturrer for specific spreader settings. If that fails, just get the lbs/acre, use your speader on a 10X 10 tarp, weigh it, do a little math and go from there.
  6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

what exactly are you looking for, i don't see a question here.