New Guy in Alabama.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JMMARICH, Apr 16, 2009.

JMMARICH LawnSite Member

So its official as of last Monday. I am 31, married, a 2 1/2 year old girl, and have been a lumber broker for the last 9 years. Before that I was in the Marine Corps Reserve and a Deputy. The lumber business has been horrible related to the housing market. My company went under and here I am.

I have always cut grass for neighbors and I actually have always loved doing it. Hell, I cut my yard with a reel mower and get a real kick out of it.

I got my business license in my city and county Monday. Insurance is done. I am cutting 5 yards so far and have about 2000 business cards I am blanketing the area with Sunday night (rain until then).

I am using a family trailer (quite a bit of work on my part to get it up to spec). I am running a 21 Craftsman mower (the self propel is currently inop), used Echo 210 trimmer, Ryobi blade edger, and Ryobi backpack blower. I refuse to take on any debt with this company and I am going to build it from the ground up with cash in hand.

Thanks to everyone for the great website and great information!

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you. It's nice to hear about guys starting out the right way. Good luck to you this season and welcome to the site!
  3. seachaser

seachaser LawnSite Member

Good luck! If you can "boot strap" a business it will pay off large in the long run. I'm a Florida boy who took a job with a 2 year plan in Montgomery and ended up there 18 years. I was president of the Alabama Turfgrass Association in the early 90's and still have many connections in your area. If you would like, I can pass your information to some friends in your area. Networking is great when the money is tight! Also, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!

edit - you can't post an email address at the site. thanks, Mike

JMMARICH LawnSite Member

That would be awesome. Any contacts and information would be appreciated. I am advertising all over, and any of the really large yards that I just don't have the capability to do effectively, I would gladly pass on the account to someone more senior. Email on the way.

5. reveti

reveti LawnSite Member

good luck to you, from the guys down south

JMMARICH LawnSite Member

Thanks! I lived in Long Beach MS from 05 - 07. Hows the work down there?
  7. reveti

reveti LawnSite Member

man, this is my first year full time, but i can't complain, my bus. is steady growing so I am moving in the right direction.
  8. JonathanW

JonathanW LawnSite Member

What part of Alabama are you in? I am in the Leeds area (about 15 mins North of B'ham)