New guy in Socal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tylerderdan, Mar 28, 2014.

1. tylerderdan

tylerderdan LawnSite Member

I am a volunteer field manager that has 7 fields over 9 acres in Glendora California. I am always looking at improving our fields and creating the safest and best play to baseball for our families.

Hoping to learn and perhaps share from mistakes I have already made.

2. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

3. yclawncare

yclawncare LawnSite Member

Welcome aboard from Nor Cal (Yuba City home of the smallest mountain range in the world) how is the water situation down there?

4. tylerderdan

So far they are just saying to conserve but havent really given us specific regulations about it. Since I took over as field manager though we have reduced water consumption at my facility by 20% so I am not really expecting too much direction or complaints headed my way.

5. yclawncare

yclawncare LawnSite Member

It is voluntary here but the goal is 20%. I am actually trying for 30%

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Grew up in Simi Valley, had a jam up business in Simi/Thousand Oaks in the early 1990s. Welcome aboard.

7. tylerderdan

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Since our fields are school district they pay the water bill and we have taken on full maintenance and control of the irrigations systems. It has worked out pretty good in that they provide us materials as we need them and they get to enjoy nice fields for the school.

We are trying to further reduce our water consumption, but I won't see any numbers for a few more months. The in depth projects we have done so far have accounted for most of the savings. Hoping to find a nice balance of efficiency and lush nice fields.

8. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in Glendora! Which fields do you manage?

9. tylerderdan

I manage the baseball fields for Glendora National Little League. Our fields are at Sandburg and Sutherland schools. We are supposed to have someone else doing Sutherland so I admittedly havent done much there besides our overseeding of the Senor field.

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

So you're in charge of the fun that is the South Hills Little League field huh? We did some work out there about 10 or 11 years ago trying to straighten out what a decade of little league dads making repairs with parts from the Home Depot had done. It was a mess and there was a very limited budget at the time if I recall. There were all kinds of wiring issues as well as flow and pressure issues. Somewhere I have a picture of the manifold that we dug out and replaced on the southern most field. I'll have to find it and post it!