New Guy Intro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FLYonWALL9, May 4, 2005.

1. FLYonWALL9

FLYonWALL9 LawnSite Member

First, thanks for the great web page and countless hours of good reads in the forum.

Story:
    I was hurt on my job last April (heavy equip opp/barge offloader). I have been unable to work due to back problems and am about to recieve my settlement. Over the past 2 or more years have been wanting to get into this industry and now that I will have opperating funds hope to do so the right way. I'm anxious to get back to the working folk and motivated in this venture.

Due to my condition I think it best to opperate a ZTR and wondered what you guys/gals thought of the LESCO brand. I have a brother inlaw that used them also a friend of the family? Being this is all new to me and not wanting to spend 10k on a mower 6k is about my limit for a 48". I will also buy a 21" to do small back yards and trim work. Looking also at RedMax string trimmers, edgers and blowers. All the equipment will be paid for no financing and I already own a great work truck 1 owner 86 Dodge D100, and 10x6ft wood deck trailer.

I can become a member of a really great networking group that has put 2 other lawn care guys to work to the point of not being able to fill the group meeting (mandatory) or you loose your spot. Also, I cant help but think between friends, family and people they know I can come up with 30 biweekly.

Oh also, I will be lic and insured 100% no fly by night here.......

Let me know what you guys think I look forward to positive feedback.

2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Welcome to the board !

You are on the right track, I'd say! Get out there and talk up some bidness!

As to your Z, due to your physical condition you may want to look at Ferris, or something with a suspension. Otherwise, I'd recommend a Hustler. You can get a full size Z or a MiniZ to fit your budget.

Best of luck to you!

3. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point. You'd be better off financing a little to get a Z with a top-grade suspension seat. As always, look into the dealers as much as into the mowers. Many of us have found that it's worth ten extra miles to get a dealer who stands behind their sales.

As for mowers with suspension seats (or as Tider pointed out, a Ferris with independent suspension), just put the word suspension into the search thing and see what shows up.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to lawnsite. Welcome to many sleepless nights on here.

5. DGM

DGM LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Finance and get good quality equipment, instead of spending your money use someone else’s money to make the money to pay for the better equipment and keep your money in the bank. From what I have seen with equipment you really do get what you pay for.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome aboard. My brother in law does the same job you are used to doing...really dangerous work..I would look into financing a little of your big ticket items just so you don't totally use your cash in hand until you generate some incoming money. BNI groups are a great way to get in the door in your community, and as you said, in the right areas, you can be as busy as you want to be. LCO work is very demanding on a different but similar scope. I would invest into the most comfortable, productive equipment you can afford. You got to take care of your body down the road, it's what makes your money.

7. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

Good to hear of your new venture and the enthusiam with it.

I am surprised that your networking contacts have not advised you of this yet, but I feel the need to offer you words of caution.

You definitely do not have to be an adonis to run a Z mower. However, running a line trimmer (weedeater), a 21" push mower (self propelled or not) and the many other aspects of lawn care are physically demanding, especially on your back.

I am a healthy fella and at the end of the day of a lot of mowing I am beat down tired and I can really feel it in my bones :)

Before, you invest your money in this I would work with one of your networking contacts for a week and see how your body does. You might be surprised.

It does not mean that you shouldn't go into the business. It would just give you a more realistic perspective. I know people who cannot under any circumstance run a line trimmer or anything other than a Z mower, who have successful businesses in which they are on the mower all day. They just hire dependable workers to do the stuff they cannot.

If your back is an issue this might be the route for you.

Hope this helps.

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome, I think Tiger has some good advise.....Ferris with a good seat....sit down...buckle in......and enjoy the ride..........you won't want to get off!!!! :D

9. FLYonWALL9

FLYonWALL9 LawnSite Member

THAKS FOR ALL THE HELP guys!
    I went today to all the dealers and looked at various brands. Seems like we have every brand under the sun in my location within 15 miles of one another. I think I have decided on the Farris and Echo. Both are offered by the same dealer who just happened to be an old highschool buddy. I will know what kind of buddy he is when I write him the check.

This is what we came up with.
    Farris IS 1500Z 5250.00
    Toro 20017 22"? 379.00
    ECHO PE311 edger 399.00
    ECHO SRM 261T 319.00
    ECHO PB651T 499.00
    ECHO HC1500 259.00

Works out to be 7405.31
    I know these prices have got to be list and surely 20 bucks each could come off the hand tools. I don't know what the Farris should sell for as a "good deal" but I know the guy will get me in and out the door very fast in repairs.

So what do you fellah's think of this shoppin list?

10. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

ECHO PE311 edger 399.00 the pe 311 i think is over kill unless your doing all day commercial work the pe 260 has plenty of power less money
    ECHO SRM 261T 319.00 balls on power good price
    ECHO PB651T 499.00 should be able to get it for 439.00
    ECHO HC1500 259.00 works great for small jobs
    might want to check out the pas model pro attachment series ,you can buy different attachments for it ,till you are sure what you really need ,plus makes a good back up. one more thing BUY LOTS OF LOCKS !!!! just had an edger and new trimmer stolen ,i was only 50 ft a way to!!!