1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New guy... need some input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Landscaping, Jul 22, 2005.

1. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gearing up for business and am planning on having some maintenance accounts in addition to landscaping. Just enough grass accounts to keep the lights on, the bank off my back, and good beer in the fridge

I need some numbers to use when writing/pricing yearly contracts.

How many cuts/year in East Central FL?

What calendar dates to use when describing service schedule? Biweekly from ?to? Weekly from ?to ? ....
    Or "as needed to maintain less than ? inches" with "ESTIMATED yearly number of services will be ?"
    How do the cuts/ year vary for irrigated vs. non-irrigated lawns?

I'm not planning on pushing for contracts.... but some people are used to that program. Should I push for contracts? I'd like a local opinion on this. (Yes; I know, firm up my estimating skills before writing contracts.... I'll do that)

I will have room in the schedule until landscaping reputation/networking builds..... so; I'll be taking some 1 cuts..... What's a good % number to charge above normal pricing for 1 cuts? Or should I use a $ amount plus drive from home time?

General liability policy (landscaping) for a solo-op for 300K is right at $500/yr. How does that sound?

How the hell does one get a real (turf & ornamental)pesticide license without giving another 3 years to "The Man"?
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

50 or 60 $ for one time. more if grass is real tall. insurance is decent price. i pay that much a month. make sure it covers equip. auto and home usually dont cover biz equip. if stolen or accident. not even in your garage.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

maybe shop around a bit more for insurance, here in va you can get a million for ~400 / year.

Far as scheduling, I use an x-y day thing as such:
    7-8 days, 8-10, 10-12, 12-14, then 2-3 weeks and monthly.
    This gives me the flexibility I need to schedule same-area yards on the same day, also for example 8-10 really gives me 3 days: the 8th, 9th, AND 10th on which I can cut their yard.

Here's the thing:
    spring is tough, the grass grows FASTEST from april-may and it starts to slow down through june. jul-aug is SLOW and september picks it back up a little then in october it starts to slow down again... some yards get their last cut towards end of october while some grow right up until x-mas but again, it depends on the yard and it's usually 1-2 cuts in november and 1 in december.

Far as a % for single cuts, try 10 but watch for the smart ones who like to let their grass grow real tall thinking they can get you to cut it at slightly above normal - if it's like up to your knees, don't be afraid to double the price. up to your arse, triple if they want the clippings cleaned up (it makes a MESS).