New Guy needing help with ZT Purchase

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by spook1, Mar 19, 2012.

1. spook1

spook1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Guys, I am new here but have been searching the forums for the last few days. I have about 2 acres that I will be mowing all the time and am wanting a zero turn for both time and looks. I have looked at many different mowers and even been looking at the used market. I will admit up front that I do not know a ton about these zero turn mowers. For what I have looked at.

The Bad Boy mower from Tractor supply. I can get the 60" deck model for $4200 as a sale item left over from last year.

There are many different ones that Home Depot carries. I have looked at the Z-Beast, a Toro and Ariens that they have as well. All range in price from about $3500 to $5000.

Finally, there is a used Ferris ZT mower here that has a 25HP Kawasaki motor and a 61" deck. it has 962 hours on it and the guy wants $2500 for it. He seems pretty steady on price. I don't know if that is too many hours or not, but it does seem to be in good condition. Any ideas on what to look for on a used unit.

Anyway, that is what I have looked at so far. If any one can give me some advice on a residential model for around $4000, or if they think this Ferris is a good unit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

A couple acres isn't that much. I would look at a husqvarna EZ or mz. Also if you have a Dixon dealer the ram is the same as a husqvarna. On your list above I would have no problems taking the Ferris. 1000 hours isn't a whole lot especially if your doing do little.

Maybe someone else will chime in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Out of the one's you listed I'd go with the Ferris, 962 hours is that much for a true commercial mower.

4. spook1

spook1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

What would be a good price for this particular Ferris mower? I am trying to see what he would sell it for.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Of the ones you have listed, I'd take the Ferris any day over the others. No question. The stuff at Lowe's and HD is junk plain and simple. Especially if you have 2 acres that have any kind of roughness to them. Depending on which exact model of Ferris it is, that price seems pretty good to me if it is in as good a condition as you described. Kawasaki engines are great engines, and if it was taken care of, you could easily get another 2000 hours out of it if you take care of it (meaning keep the maintenance up, and don't let anyone drive it like a mud bogger).

6. spook1

spook1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

It is a ferris is3000. It has 25 hp Kawasaki and 60" or 61" deck in overall good shape. Is that price fair.

7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the Ferris, that is a great price if it is in fact the 3000 with very low hours. If you were going new, from the ones you listed I'd go with the BB.

8. spook1

spook1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Well it has 960 hours. I wouldn't think that is low hours is it?

9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

For a commercial grade machine like the Ferris, it's not that many in all honesty. That would be my pick easily, but like dwost said, if you have to go new, then go with the BB.

10. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

With propped maintenance you couldsuet 3-4,000 hours on it.