New guy needs advertising help and advice.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Clint Gantt, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Clint Gantt

Clint Gantt LawnSite Member

Hey guy i am kind of new into the professional lawn service and was wanting to ask some questions on how to market my business better this spring and summer. I started mowing grass when i could walk literally, of course in my grandfather lap, but have just recently taken the next big step into commercial landscaping. I am now 17and recently purchased a Hustler Z 52" mower last spring and a 6x10 flatbed trailer to haul my equipment on. Last year was tough on not only me but, also other businesses in the southeast because of drought. But this spring i am wanting to broaden my business. I would just like to know how to get my name out there and get some new accounts. The good thing about me is i am the only employee so i know how every job gets done. I really would like some advice from some of the older guys here to help me out and to lead me in the right direction. Please share your story of how you gained accounts and started building your business. Thanks Clint

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

purchase some lawn signs & some magnets for your truck. you can even put one of the yard signs on your trailer be sure and put one on the tailgate. i had shirts made. blue for workers, and yellow to give away to friends to advertise for me. you can print your own business cards too. i use print shop deluxe. you can build you own website, i use yahoo geocities. i got the signs and magnets at cost( friend makes them) and the cards are like $8 for 100 at walmart. the shirts i got were 285 for 36 of them.

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

here's what my new signs and magnets look like
    lawn sign.JPG

lawn sign.JPG

4. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a bad year to try to start a lawn care biz... To many people are getting laid off from there jobs and are trying to get into an already flooded market and not many people are going to have the extra money to pay for lawn service this year, But best of luck to you

5. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

even with how bad the economy is we don't have trouble getting accounts...my best advice would be advertise in the local paper in the classifieds section...we have done that the last 3 or 4 years and pick up between 15 - 20 accounts per year...it's $210.00 for 3 months, and starting early in march we get march and april, then may of course but the most crucial months are march and april...since you are young and just starting, i'm sure you don't have a lot of money to spend on advertising, so i would suggest limiting your options and just doing the local paper...like someone said above advertising on your truck/trailer is a good idea, magnets aren't a bad idea (approx. $70/pair) only they can fall off at higher speeds, so getting your bus name professionally put on is a good idea, yet it is more expensive...on the other hand, if it is your personal truck as well as work truck then magnets are the best, you can then take them off...

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

7. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

We've gone door to door leaving a flyer and card. We put a business ad in a Bargainfinder paper.

8. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

get some magnets for your truck, flyers and cards and a add in ur local paper