New guy needs advice: gas powered edger

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by decypher, May 23, 2010.

?

If the engine power head is identical--Which stick/shaft edger has more power?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2010.
  1. Curved-shaft

16.7%
  2. Straight-shaft

88.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. decypher

decypher LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of starting a solo/small landscaping business and need some equipment advice on whether to get a gas powered stick edger or multi-wheel gas edger... I'll be edging mostly residential sidewalks, driveways and flower/mulch beds. My edger budget is $350. but the reviews aren't that great for the multi-wheel edgers in that range and I feel kinda limited with a stick edger. All help and advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I had a gas handheld unit for a while that worked great. You do get what you pay for though, so keep that in mind. I noticed after every second home I did, that I had to sharpen the blade. I could get a season out of a blade at least. I don't have the unit anymore as demand for it dropped and I sold it while it was still worth something.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I have NEVER heard that before.......ever!

4. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

With the lowered economy people are cutting back with what they spend. I used to get 4-8 calls per month for edging alone with about 4 jobs a month. Last year I had two ALL year, and this year (so far) I've had not even one inquiry. Weekly mowing services are picking up at least along with mulch installations. The less equipment I need to keep track of, the better. I didn't buy the unit new, so it was previously abused by someone else. I sold it for $100 to a local kid.

5. decypher

decypher LawnSite Member

edging is very popular here in jersey... any reccomendations? i think i might just go for an echo stick edger since i already have an echo weed wacker plus they're both the same mix ratio.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a RedMax stick edger and love it. The initial edge is tough sometimes if it is overgrown, but weekly accounts are a breeze when you keep up on them (I edge everytime I cut, which takes maybe 2-3 minutes) As for bed edging with it, it is not the best but it can give you a nice line to hit with a spade after.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. decypher

decypher LawnSite Member

Thanks pitrack and nice pics. I did buy a spade for bed edging and maybe once I start generating some profit I'll look into a more specialized edger for beds... Do you think those multiple wheeled edgers are any good for beds? My assumption is that they could work for bed edging but it would depend on the grass/turf condition and how smooth or bumpy the lawn is. I think I'm going to stick to spade edging beds for now and maintain them with my weed wacker and if they need a total work-over I'll sharpen them up with my spade.

8. decypher

decypher LawnSite Member

Pitrack,

I checked out your website and that's a very nice layout with high quality pics.. nice job. Those pondless waterfalls are a nice touch, what's the average going price range for one of your waterfall installs? My only reccomendation for your site would be to have a small link at the bottom stating that you need Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher to properly view the site since it's coded in flash. The option might "pop up" if you don't have flash installed but I wouldn't know since I already have the latest revision. It might still be a good idea to mention that you need flash to view it since some folks aren't computer literate.. just a thought. Take care!

9. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, I am not very familiar with the multi wheeled edgers so I am not sure how well they would work for bed edging. You could always just rent a bed edger for your larger products, they do a nice job and aren't too expensive to rent for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the comments, waterfalls are pretty pricey. They usually start around the 3-4k range including everything.
    I never even thought about the Adobe Player. How would I go about finding a link to download Adobe Flash Pllayer 10 that I could post on the page? If you can't tell I am not the most computer literate person either haha.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

go with the stick edger... you can still do some minor reshaping with the stick edger on the curved beds...or at the very least get the edge started and finish with the spade. nothing, and I mean nothing (not even the the edge-it) compare to a nice clean edge, it really makes the walks and beds pop out at you... if you plan on doing a lot of edging, just buy a case of edger blades. as they wear down you need to replace them...