New guy needs bid advise

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by flascaper, Dec 5, 2007.

1. flascaper

flascaper LawnSite Member

I am new at irrigation on my own although I was an irrigation tech for a large tree farm and have alot of knowledge on how to put in a system but I don't know how to charge for it. The parts are cheap a 10 ft piece of pvc is 2 bucks but I want to charge 5. Pop ups are 3 I figure Id charge 6 . In fla its sand so and with no sod I can easily trench but I don't know what to charge for labor. Any pointers?

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

$1500 per zone.

or charge $150 per rotor / $60 per popup

3. Ditto........

4. flascaper

Thats easy. Now this job there are no valves to install. Pool went in need to re connect lines on two valves for grass around pool. Still charge 60 per pop up? there are no rotors just fan and full circle pop ups. Does that include trenching and the new 3/4 inch lines thaqt need to go in. I need 200 ft of new pipe.

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Take your cost of materials X2 and ad something to make you smile.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Six pack of beer and some bikini clad female installers? That works for me.

7. flascaper

Thank you for the advise. I did have the idea of a bikini mulching team once for about 5 min and then I was finished.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Back to reality, like Rotar said, if you are adding to an existing system and repairing parts torn out by another installation, then charge for the parts with a markup (x2 works well) and your time to put them in. What is your time worth? Youre from Florida so you wont be pulling huge dollars if youre working at market rate.

9. flascaper

I just e-mailed the bid and in a nut shell. It was 200 ft of pipe i charged 5 per 10 ft and will pay 1.72. I chrged for 24 popups at 6 each they cost 2.50. and with labor to trench add new wire and hook up the popups with flex pipe and attachments. Also chrged 45 for misc parts, couplings and elbows, glue and primer. Then charged 720 for labor. One guy to help me for 110. I should make about 800 for 6 hrs of work. It would be more if there was sod to remove and valves to replace.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Charge a fair price given location, job, and experience