1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new guy needs help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by biglinz1, Jul 6, 2006.

1. biglinz1

biglinz1 LawnSite Member

I have been mowing on the side for about a year and a half. I want to take it more serious this next year and I am going to go after some commercial accounts nothing huge but enough to keep me busy and I am not real sure how to go about it I have tried to ask a few people but they don't offer much help I have got a plow and hedge trimmers and all those things I am just not sur on how to bid bigger jobs and snow and trimming I have not had to do so on anything like an apartment complex or anything like that as I mostly have residential and never had to really bid a lot of trimming or snow removal as I subbed my truck out to someone else and it is for good money but I know he makes way more than double so I would like to do it. and a few places I have talked to require to bid snow also. so I guess what I am asking is how to bid commercial grass by space or time and snow by depth or time and what is a fair price to do so. thanks for reading
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Plowsite.com a sister of this site will have lots of info. As for bidding the commercail jobs if you asked others that do it they probably didn't like the idea of more company in the commercail side so didn't give you much. The fastest way of locating a lot of information here is to use that search box and look up commercial contracts, bidding commericial and such. Each job has variables.
  3. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

the best advice i can give to anybody starting ,especially fulltime is, get to know YOUR market well.try and network with people on this site ,build a business plan and get all your legal advice for your state i.e insurance licsences etc .all the best mate
  4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

While you are waiting for advice to come in use the search feature and type in key words relateing to the info you are looking for, as some times the questions have been asked before and you can see those responces. good luck:usflag: :aussie flag