New guy needs some help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orrdc, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

Valid points, thanks man. Here is how little this one has been used, it has the original blades and they were still looking good. However they weren't mulching blades

As far as the sulky it was the one that flexes

2. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. Good to hear. Check the underside of the deck and see if there is still quite a bit of paint in tacked. That would be a good gauge unless someone had repainted it which is unlikely.

Be careful of using a true mulch blade on a side discharge. It won't hurt anything, but your QOC may suffer and/or discharge. Unless you actually install a mulch kit along with the mulch blades. The G5 is as close to a mulch blade while still being a side discharge blade.

3. Orrdc

Thanks again mt, I am still torn about it. Just browsing cl in other cities, of course not mine, I see some other mowers I like better for not a ton more money. Just not sure if I wanna buy a 20 year old machine now matter how good of shape it's in

4. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a good point. Even rubber items age when not being used. ie tires, hoses, belts, seals. The newer models may have better deck design.

If your not familiar already with it try using searchtempest.com to search.

5. Orrdc

Yea that what I've been using,found a few I like just kinda far. But the prices aren't much different. I may just hold out, made it this far. Thanks again for all your help