Lawn Care Forum banner

New guy & new website

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MarvelLawnCare 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, Im am new to lawn-site and new to the landscaping industry. I spent the last few weeks building my website. Would love some opinions from you guys. Thanks in advance.

www.MarvelLawnCare.com

#2 ·
Howdy and welcome

It will be interesting to see if and when you post a link to facebook if the pinterest logo shows up instead of yours.

I see very little meta data in the site but some good effort that just is not registering with the google tools.

The site performs pretty well but suffers from not compressing and caching images and CSS.

I see some duplicate content taken from other sites.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes when I post on Facebook I do get the pintrest logo as a picture, still trying to figure out how to address that. As far as meta data, the site is still a work in progress, I will be adding that over the next few weeks. Not sure why I'm having issues with compressing and caching images, do you think it could be the hosting company? Currently using Just Host or could it be the software that I'm using to make build the site? Rapid Weaver for Mac.

#5 ·
- looks good. easy to read and navigate. would add a home page link to your banner logo.

- really thin on actual content. the services page should be one of the most detailed, useful, content-laden pages, but 91% of your page is non-textual content.

- i find myself saying this a lot, mostly because full reviews are really time intensive, but go back through previous review requests and read them. any of them will largely apply to your site, just pretend they're domain agnostic as you read them. pay special attention to the on-site SEO advice (H tags, TITLES, Meta Descrips, etc) and the links to the seomoz and google beginner's guides.

- if you don't have them, get google and bing webmaster accounts and submit your sitemap.xml

- install google analytics and learn the basics so you can better identify and cater to your traffic

- for what it is, the banner image on your homepage is excessively large. this occurs when you save a photo as a .png, as well as try to include art work within the same. properly broken out and optimized, you could take that from 287k down to less than 40k. in a quick change, i took just the mowing image itself to 26k, with no noticeable degradation.

- re: the mouseover reveals, this is more subjective, but they seem to exist just for the sake of existing. if this came across my desk, the first thing i would ask you is, "why?" and the follow-up would be, "is there any usable value if you have to add the instructional 'mouse over me to see what i do'?".

#8 ·
Here are a couple of things that annoy me so that it for what it is worth.

On the about use page -

We offer our customers a variety of services making us a true one stop shop for most of your landscaping needs. We offer, lawn maintenance, spring and fall clean ups, plantings and plant maintenance, landscaping, hardscape installations, and pressure washing and sealing.

Everyone of those are a link to a contact page.

The moving map is kind of neat but why not list the cities and show the map on the same page and not make me go the extra click.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely going to check and fix the spelling and meta info. As far as design I don't think I'm going to have time to alter that before the season starts. My thoughts were to have this site serve me for the first year or so then hire a professional company to make me a nice one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.