1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Guy Saying Thanks

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RD592, May 16, 2006.

1. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

Just want to tell everyone on here thanks for sharing valuable information to us new to the buisness.

I have always wanted to start my own lawn care business for about 7 years now and Im finally doing it ( part time ). Last year I bought a 60" Dixon Grizzly 25hp but I think that it is a little to big for an all around mower so next week I plan on buying a tiger cub 48" 19hp. I just purchased a echo srm210 weed eater, an echo pe 200 edger, a husqvarna backpack blower a 6.5 x 12 open trailer. All my paper work for the business should be all processed by the end of this week.

I have 3 accounts as of now but once I get everything I need I plan on trying to hit the commercial industry really hard. I really dont want to many residential because I am in the process of building my new home and I cant dedicate too much time this year towards my business. I had to buy everything this year due to once my house get done I will never be able to afford to do this again for a while.

So once again I would like to thank everyone here for their information they supply to use new in the business.

Gravois' Lawn Care, LLC
  2. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck!!!

I am looking at a Dixon Grizzly to buy. How do you like the one you have? Any issues other than the deck too large? I noticed the deck on the Dixon does not seem to be as tall as others on the market. Has this been an issue?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Your welcome-- and remember, drink lots of water, and don't pee against the wind.
  4. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

I like my dixon a lot,it has a very nice cut. The controls are a little sensetive, have to watch out when pulling mower on ramps or cutting parralell with fences and building but thats what makes it fun to drive. The 2005 decks are not as tall are as heavy as other commercial decks, but It discharges the grass really well. Being the deck is made from 11 g steel you just cant abuse this deck like other mower. The 2006 dixons have a new deck and I think that its is better that the 2005.

I operated lots of ztr's and my dixon cuts just as good and just as fast as any of them.
  5. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

1.Why do you have a 60 inch mower and plan on buying another soon and you have 3 yards?

2.Why do you think you will be dedicating less time to commercial properties?
  6. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

I have a 60"dixon grizzly for my propery, I dont thing it will hold up as good as a scag cutting everyday, and I personally thing that a 60" is a little large for the properties I plan on cutting.

I dont plan on doing less commercial, I plan on doing only commercial once I get started.