New Guy Says Hello!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLS, Jun 2, 2001.

1. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

A big hello to one and all at LawnSite.com!

I found out about this site through the latest
    newsletter from lawncaresuccess.com and I really enjoy
    reading and gather information posted here.

This is my second year in the lawn business and have just
    purchased a new Exmark Laser Z (60" w/23hp Kawa) in order to
    keep up with and expand my client base. I have 25 "regular" clients and pick up 1 or 2 new ones a week through ads in my neighborhood newspaper and referrals.

Like most of you I wish to watch my business grow, hire a person or two, and turn a decent profit at the end of the day. At the ripe old age of 40 (and doing all the work solo) I have found that 10 more clients will be about all that I feel that I can do by myself (all of my lawns are residential and between 1 and 1.5 acres). As a result I have become picky about the yards I take on (accepting about 1 out of 3) based on time, difficulty, and of course...profit margin! :)

Any "tips" from you pros on the subject of hiring a helper (for the first time) would be greatly appreciated. Actually, any pointers that a new lawn care business could use would be helpful...especially ones pertaining to the pitfalls and hassles that should be avoided.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and especially to LawnSite.com for making this BB available...it is a real help to have all of these Lawn Care Professionals discussing the topics which keep or industry thriving.

....now if only someone could tell me how to make it stop raining for a day or two so I can get caught up...heheheh!

2. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Ah yes! .....Lawnsite is a wonderful place to be.
    [Solo here too......maybe I'll see you around town sometime)

3. SLS

from Mars

Hello oneEXMARKfan!

I've been told that solo is the way to go but a man can only do so much in a day...these old bones...

I'm in the Madison/Goodlettsville area...what part of town do you service?

This rain been messing with your schedule too? It's starting to back up on me.

4. SLS

from Mars

I bought it from Phil Lee at Commercial Lawn Equipment over on Charlotte Pike (near White Bridge Road). Really friendly. And gave me the best deal too....saved me enough over the other guys prices to get the mulching kit AND a new 7x12 trailer w/ lift-up ramp gate. YEEHAW!

I hope your business takes off like mine has. Do good work and be dependable and the clients will come to you quickly. Last week I was doing a lawn on a busy Madison area street and I had to stop 3 times to hand out business cards. The Exmark really makes the lawns look good.

Thanks for the offer on helping out. If it comes to that point I'll be sure to let you know.
    :)

Peace!

5. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I always like dealing with Phil at Comm. Lawn. That's where I bought my Merto HP at. Only dealer I go too. He gave me a good deal on my Jungle Wheels, since I bought my mower from him (and a SWEET deal on my Trimmer Mate) I live about 5 mins. from there.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Welcome to Lawnsite SLS. I have a search page on my website for Lawnsite.com, so if you click on the gif below, then click on Lawnsite Links, and then Getting Workers, there are many threads on this subject that might help you out. We have over 130,000 posts on Lawnsite.com, so there is a lot of reading here. Good luck. :)

7. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I remember driving down a road 15 years ago (or so) and seeing a 40ish man with a smile on his face mowing lawns. I recognized him as a former Insurance salesman a few years prior. Now I'm 45 and seeking to buy an existing business. I'll have one employee and me doing all the work (65 accounts at this time- 90% residential). Should have followed my hunch 15 years ago and done this then. By now my business would be huge and I'd have worn smile wrinkles rather than frown wrinkles on my face. Nothing floats my boat like mowing something down.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

8. SLS

from Mars

Hello Eric ELM and sheppard and thanks for the warm welcome!

Eric: The ELM site is FANTASTIC! Thanks for pointing me in it's direction. I am about to go back and look around some more...lots of great info to be had there and the layout and navigation are very nice! A very appealing web site indeed....thanks for sharing it with me. :)

sheppard: It sounds like we have something in common...we both enjoy our chosen professions and wish that we had "took the plunge" sooner! The reason I started Smith's Lawn Service was because I enjoy working outdoors and tried to buy an existing lawn care business located about 30 miles from my home but that deal fell through because the owner needed to stay with it for another couple of years because of health insurance issues (he needs BOTH hips replaced and needed to pay the premiums for 2 years to get the 80% coverage). After reviewing his books covering a 5 year span (a real eye-opener!) and consulting a family member in the lawn care business (25 years/10 employees/8 Dixie Choppers in southern Michigan) I decided to start from scratch and post flyers in my own backyard...42" Scott's 16 hp tractor and all.

It was the best decision I have ever made. Super-minimum drive time, low startup costs(under 10 grand including the new Lazer Z... and nice neighbors for clients which make it easy to get paid ;). The most satisfying and profitable venture I've ever made. And it's almost paid for itself already. :D

Makes me downright envious of these young whippersnappers....I wish that I knew 20 years ago what I know now! I'd be retired by now. This is a great business to be in.

Thanks again, guys!

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

SLS, I'm glad you found my site helpful. The whole site is basically for helping others, not for me to get more lawns.

I also have a Chat Room there for Lawnsite members to use. There are usually several there every night chatting. You need AOL AIM95 Instant Messenger for this. All new members that want, come and join us.

Also, if you are looking for help, I saw a thread on a guy looking for work in your area.

10. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome SLS

Nice to have you in our community.