New guy seeking help!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ATX3HUNNID, Jun 21, 2008.

1. ATX3HUNNID

ATX3HUNNID LawnSite Member

Ok first of all Im no professional and I apologize in advance if I came to the wrong site. Im just seeking help from a real professional, and not some kid at Home Depot. I just move into my home and i believe bermuda sod was planted before we moved in. It was nice and green when we moved in but now its starting to die. I just got cable and the day after installation I had a long dead strip of grass from the side of my house running out towards those little energy boxes by the sidewalk (please forgive my uneducated descriptions).
    It's also starting to die everywhere, i water it weekly but it just doesn't help. I was thinking of throwing some fert on it tonight but I dont know which one to use. Im in Austin TX so its hotter than a jabanero pepper out here. I was told by a guy at home depot to start with Scotts Starter Fertilizer. Will this liven up my lawn or is there something else that will get it going?
    I thank you all in advance. I plan on doing this tonight so a quick response will be greatly appreciated!

2. ATX3HUNNID

Wow tough crowd...

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

compost and some Scott's organic choice fert, you want to increase the soils organic mater.

try the organic forum, we are a little more helpful

4. ATX3HUNNID

Thanks, I was thinking since I didnt post this in the homeowners section, no one gave to craps about my post. Where can I get this organic fert?

5. treegal1

HD or some other home store, you can also use ringer or natural base, it just depends on what they got.

go check out the organic forum, you will love it. growing grass sustainably with less inputs will also make a nicer lawn and a safer one for your
    family.

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Don't judge us too harshly. We're out every day and most don't open the computer on Saturday until late or are still working when your post came.
    Firstly, I would say that you're not giving the grass enough moisture. One time a week and probably not long enough is not enough.
    What type of watering device do you have? Aren you getting rain? Almost all grass needs about an inch (1") or more a week, broken into about 2 days. Agreed Bermuda is more drought resistant the most but it will not grow in a desert. I water about 7 hours (that's right) on my watering days on the coast. The lawn is about 25K and 7 different zones with each zone on a 2 hour cycle--Guage the amount with a flat pan in the yard catching the water. Stop when you get between 1/2" and 3/4".
    As far as fertilizer: I'd suggest getting some soluble fertilizer with a hose end applicator. This is far from what pros but it's better than nothing. The granular will harm your turf if you over apply. The added water will even help. If the grass is in really poor shape, IT IS GENERALLY WRONG TO WATER IN THE EVENINGS, but in this case I would so that the moisture that your're putting down will not evaporate. Evening watering will promote fungas--that's probably the least of your problems.
    Let's start with the watering cycle. The add the fertilizer in a week or so.
    It might be best to get one of then pros in Austin to put down your liquid on a monthy basis with a mix that will nourish the grass. A good mix of micro-nutrients, nitrogen and potassium will do wonders.
    Good Luck and let us know what going on--but avoid new post on Saturday....my feet hurt....my broke thumb hurts.........
    Oh Yes---stay away from Home Depot boys--some of them are just children....I know I had some of them in our area in school....High School...No Brain--No Clue and on grass (turf that is) there're worthless.
    Roy

7. treegal1

granular organic fert can go down any time and wont burn!!
    the soluble will or it will just evaporate. chem guys way every month a spray, organic way, fix the soil and the grass will thrive, no long term inputs, no monthly costs.

8. ATX3HUNNID

Thanks Roy, I guess I do not water enough. I do it once a week and sometimes I use my sprikler and sometimes I just hold it and spray by hand. I pretty positive it doesnt get enough moisture. It's been pretty dry around here the past few weeks. We just might get a little rain today but Im not counting on it. I'll start watering it every few days, even my little tree died. Im the only guy on the block with a dead tree. Boy do I have a lot to learn.

9. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

If the grass is stressed, don't fertilize now. Water it deeply (Like, suh-TOOPID deep) because Bermuda roots run very deep. If it was sodded right before you moved in, some of it probably is dead. Water the dog snot out of what has survived so that it can spread out and root deeply. Fert when the weather becomes more moderate.
    Did I mention that you should water to excess? Once a month should do you until fall, with 1" waterings on a weekly basis in between.

10. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I hate to see a tree die. I sorta take it personally even if I did not plant it. I've been around a while. Just water and see if you get any response and don't forget the hose end applicator of something like "Miracle Grow" BUT not too much (It's mostly salts) and even water that into your grass.
    And please consider putting in a sprinkler system if you plan to stay there for a while and also consider someone with the equipment to give the lawn a little food every month assuming you rejuvenate the grass. It may cost a little but worth it in the long run. Everyone has to start somewhere. Not starting to know is the worst thing.
    Try this: Save as much bath water ( the soap puts a little phosphate), use a watering can and cover about a 100/M spot where there's some evening shade and see if it responds quicker.
    As stated, I've been around for a while even during times when we only had cow manure and tobacco stalks to fertilize crops. Weeds would overrun everything and the production and quality was horrible. I take offense to those who preach only organic especially those who cannot punctuate a sentence nor spell correctly or use the right verbs. "Without Chemestry--Life would be impossible" It's the overuse and wrongful applications that should be the concern.