new guy starting out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ajlandscaping, Jun 14, 2005.

1. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

im 16 with 9 yards rite now im averaging gettin 1 new yard a month and last year i only had 3 well last year when i started going out trying to get yards i went out and purchased a mower a husqvarna rider mower nothing much but something to get me started well now im looking for a better mower but not to costly around 3-4 grand if i need to i could go higher my grandpa helps me out by buying it but in return i mow his yard for free and if needed throw a payment ontop of that its a good thing cuz then you don't have to pay interest if you can't buy it all at once thru a dealer. next year i plan/hope to double my accounts number to like 20 or so more would be nice.

what kinda of commercial walkbehind is good i have looked at mostly toro and they look to be a good investment for a new guy alot of the big guys around here are using toro's around here

how do you guys determine prices on yards also

if you have any suggestions or ideas i could use to get started out and grow would be great also

2. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

you first need to figure out what dealers are around you. i have a toro wb and i love it. the t-bar control is amazing. exmark is also a good one but its pretty much what dealers are around you. it would be pretty easy to find a nice belt drive mower in your price range.

good luck

3. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

i also have a toro wb i like it alot i just wish i had got the t-bar controls good machine will last you a long time
    alex
    don't mind the spelling

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe get a used WB, depending on your area you can find one for around 1000 dollars (on ebay also) that will help you determine whether you want to do it for real AND will help you learn a LOT about the machine without breaking the bank.
    And yes, Toro highly recommended, I have 3 of them.

Far as suggestions, try an ad in a local newspaper for a week but you do need transportation (I was assuming you have that).
    If you don't have transportation, try putting out some flyers in your neighborhood.
    Peace