New guy! to this atleast

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 22, 2005.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have been landscaping a few years now but went solo this year, I have a potential customer that wants a basic sprinkler system. Where can I find out more on how to do an install and how to hook everything up? Also place to find prices of parts and pieces? Any help I would appreciate, I am starting out and don't wanted to be limited and pass work off. I am very handy and very capable just need the knowledge part of irrigation systems.
    Thanks

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Most people learn the basics working for an irrigation company. It is not like landscaping.

3. Broker

your best bet is to sub it out to a professional and take notes when they install, unless it is for a family member that does not care.

4. Broker

I am not trying to be hard on you, its just not something you should sell as a professional until you feel like you can offer a quality system and back it up with responsive service.

5. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

there is no where to get info about this? what is really the hard part about it? Seems the hardest part is electronics and plumbing it into the house? I am I right. I need to start somewhere any books or websites that have information?
    Thanks

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Newbie, we aren't trying to rip you here, but this has been covered over and over in this forum. You can do a search and find many threads on "My customer wants me to put in a system. It can't be that hard. How do I do it?"

No. It's not hard to do after you've done it dozens and hundreds and thousands of times. And the hardest point when you don't know what you're doing is designing it properly so guys like me don't need to come in and fix your screw ups. Which I have done hundreds of time (not yours of course, other non-qualified guys in our area).

Irrigation is not like mowing grass, walking back and forth and back and forth and back and forth all day long. I did that for three years after high school and was bored out of my mind. Irrigation design, installation, and repairs takes math skills, being able to look at a yard and divide it up properly, figuring the best route for trenching or pulling pipe, plumbing knowledge and skills, knowing pipe sizing, GPM (do you know what GPM is?), friction loss, being able to figure out why the vlaves, rotors, contollers, etc. don't work and how can I fix them. And there is much more I could put on here. And you don't learn it all in one lesson.

I know I am coming across as an ******* but everyone thinks this is easy. And it's taken many of us years to get to the point we are at by learning ONSITE from someone else, and then making our own mistakes and fixing them. We can't sit on the computer all day and teach how to install every system that is going to differ from the next.

7. NEUSWEDE

from Maine

I don't think it is easy I am just saying I don't think passing it off to someone is going to help me or my company. I am not looking for someone to sit online and teach me, all I was looking for was a website or a book or a video or any information that is out there that I can go and do research on. Knowledge is power! It is fine if you want to come across like that, I went ahead and realized I should do this on my own and find my own way and do it. Found helpful resources that I was looking for.
    Thanks anyways
    P.S. GPM is gallons per minute!

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If I knew of some great guide, video, website, that I could recommend, i would. But I don't. All the ones I've seen have been useless. This one http://www.jessstryker.com/ is one that many people have recommended. And I hate it. You can also go to the Rainbird and Hunter (probably Toro too) sites and check their tutorials out. But I don't think those are great help. Would you just read a book and then build a car? Or a house? No you need to be hands on to get some knowledge first. Then try reading the info. You will have a better understanding of what you are reading if you have worked on them first.

I could have just kept quiet and not said anything, but there is a reason not many of us have said anything about your inquiry and many others like this.

9. Pay my plane fare...pay my hotel...feed me and I will come teach you how to install this system. I always wanted to see Maine...got lobsters there? LOL

Seriously, it isn't brain surgery, however it is more difficult to design a well designed system and install it than most people think it is. You will earn pennies when you are just learning...you wont be as efficient as the rest of us. But...you can learn pretty fast I would think. But you won't learn from a book or an online tutorial. Kinda like changing oil...remember the first time you did that? Wasn't as easy as you thought was it...?

If you are serious about learning to install irrigation, you really should find someone to sub the first couple out to...ask them if they will let you be the laborer on the job..tell them why..be honest and they will help you. In fact, if you want to learn, fly out to Colorado or Arizona or both, I will gladly let you be a laborer for me and learn as you go. I'll even buy lunch and beer the first day. (if you are a quick learner and a hard worker I might even pay you, but you work the first day free!) If you come to Colorado, you can stay at Dana's house....LOL.

10. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

sub out your first couple of systems, watch them carefully. ask questions.