New guy wants to be partner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn_jockey, Jan 21, 2006.

1. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

Solution please.
    New Guy approaches me wanting to sell out his business and come work for me. He wants to be a partner 20% but I don't necessarily want a partner.
    What he brings to the table.

35 clients probably $25 weekly mows. So not much there. But he keeps getting these opportunities at large contracts. For example he secured a contract for 15 duplexes Sod Trees and Irrigation, 50% of which I am taking home. He also seems to be a good salesman. He was recently asked to give a bid on 45k annual Maint contract for a local church.

So what would be a good offer to give him and for me to make money here? I am leaning toward just a sales commission deal but I think he would learn after the first job he could have made alot more money if he just did the job himself.

2. ProLockers

ProLockers LawnSite Member

No Money up front;
    If he as that good acct's good cash not a problem; 50/50 slit operation (cost of top) sell his ass off good luck

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

This post doesn't add up. If he's such a good salesman, why quit and work for you. Unless he thinks he won't be doing labor anymore. Why bid on a church if you already know the price? Sounds more like he's a crappy salesman and can't handle the work because he didn't charge enough.

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

do not make him a partner, instead let him come to work for you for a salary, that way you are in control without giving up a certain amount of control. If he pans out them give him 20% profit at the end of the year. Not part owner ship.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Partnerships, in principle sound good, however they usually end up casuing alot of uneeded pain, usually of the monetary kind. It does not matter how you slice the pie 50/50, 80/20, 70/30, how you delineate the job titles and divide labor or how you word your partnership agreement it usually ends on a sour note.

Stay solo! Trust me, having Mr. 20% giving you his 2 cents on EVERY decision will get very old, very quick.

James

6. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Run Forest Run!

I have a person who came to work for me like this. Turns out he was a nightmare but his story was always "just around the corner, next week!"

If he is such a good salesmen he would keep his own business. I would not even hire him as a salesman. He will find the first opportunity to light you up!

OK, maybe I am a bit harsh from my own experience many years ago when I was much smaller.

Whatever you do, be careful and cut bait if he gives you the signals. Don't give him ownership, give him a commission. Stock is a very hard thing to take back if it does not work out.

7. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

Partnership?You are a glutton for punishment!!

8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I could never understand why anyone in the world would ever want a partner? I went in business for myself so i could make decisions by myself.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

You guys that say you would never have a partner sure aren't married yet. You walk up the isle hoping for a 50/50 partnership and end up getting told what to do 99% of the time.... and how to do it too.
    I wouldn't want a business partner unless it was my wife. She still reminds me that I work for her.

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I dont think "partners" works. One guy wants to buy new stuff, the other guy wants to buy used.
    One guy doesnt mind working saturday or sunday to catch up, the other guy "doesnt or wont work weekends."
    One guy wants to fire a pita customer, the other guy wants to keep them......
    My point is this...."Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe.":drinkup: