New Guy. What was learned this year?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green-Pro, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

For the new guys like myself. What have you learned this year, just an off the top of the head question for general answers.

1: IMO most commercial props bite the big one. I intend to focus more on the residential and eventually weed out all but a select few commercial.

2: Learned a lot about timing in relation to advertising, think I'm getting better at this.

3: Advertising & promotion; what will work what does not, never discount a market area, i.e. opportunities can be in places where we least expect it.

There are many more things I've learned this year both form the senior guys on this site (Thanks Guys :waving: ) and on my own, most are more detail business related, the nuts & bolts end of it anyway. This is just a down and dirty of the top of the head short list. (not enough server space for the long list)

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Learned people want crap for free, they think your extra time is worth zero.....learned that no matter what I charge it doesn't seem enough.....life could be worse....

3. Green-Pro

Never, never undervalue yourself, outgoing and forceful on services and pricing has served me well.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't get a commercial job to save my butt, don't think I want any either the way these Idiots around here are chopping each others legs off to get them. I'l stick to my high end and favorite Residential clients. they all are great people to work with. I do have a few not so favorable acct. that I don't think I will reup for next season.
    and that is one thing I will not do is devalue myself. thats why I can't get a commercial. I'll let them have the cheap cut rate cutters and I'll keep the residentials around them looking better than their commercial props. I know I've had alot of commercials that are watching me while I work.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You learned whether or not you can and WANT to make a living working in the green industry

6. Green-Pro

Steve:

One big difference I find between commercial props and residential (besides profitability) is most commercial places are IMO crapholes with litter/assorted debris all over. I intend to majorly increase the rates for those I want to weed out, if they don't cancel when rates go up then at least I will recoup something for the headaches. I agree high end res. is the market to focus on.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have to agree that one must be careful on commercials - I have found that if they are more than 1 mile from a McDonalds, everyone has finished lunch, and the trash is out the window - IE - Bid commercials close to McDonalds. LOL:D

As far as nice mowing jobs, I love commercials - few load unloads, and there is nothing that says you can not do a good job on a commercial. (Refering to a post above)

Murray Turbo 1.jpg

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Flex,
    You have the equipment to bid a big commercial at what is a good profitable rate for you, around here these guys are charging less than you with the average 54 or 60 " Z or even some strickly on 36" WBs, I will not drop to that level of price unless I'm equiped like you are. then I could afford to price lower per acre. the way I'm set up now I'm better off to stay with the residentials that these guys are overlooking.
    I hear ya on the 1mile McDonalds

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You guys that do commercials should be charging for cleaning if your not chop it up one wk and then you will be paid to clean it first. Any place that don't care you don't want to have as a customer.

10. Green-Pro

Yep, takes a lot of pump & jump but is very satisfying at the end of the day. Still some more of this season left, though we are at the tail end, we will finish with what I can only describe as a outstanding first season, and again a big thanks to all on this board, new guys, old guys, small, and large, also to Sean. The knowledge you gain through the practical experience is exponentially increased by the existence of this board.

I can honestly say when I wake up in the mornings I thank the good Lord I can say to my self " I love my job " :)