new guy with a question for the pro's

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bigw, Feb 1, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

If i am going to be installing some new flower beds on a property {residential} do i need to have a "one call" done first to check for gas lines and such or is that not necessary?

2. bigw

I guess this is a dumb question huh?

3. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

As in annual beds or shrub planting beds?

4. bigw

mostly annual beds but either or would be nice to know!

5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Gas and power lines? No

But I was shaping a few hundred feet of bed once and cut right into some cable tv line. Apparently the contractor got lazy and did not bury it far enough.

6. Omaha Lawnguy

Omaha Lawnguy LawnSite Member

Is there any disadvantage to simply making a phone call and being sure what is or is not down there? Granted with annuals it shouldn't be a problem (especially if you're bringing in soil), however I have on occassion seen cable lines just under the sod. I also think it makes the customers feel more confident that you really know and care about what you're doing.

IMO, don't take a chance, just make the call.

7. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

If you're in doubt call! Its free to call but its not free when you start breaking stuff without painted lines.

8. bigw

ok thamks guys,i figured the smart thing to do would be to just call but i wasnt sure if it was required or not.

9. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Our marking company we deal with is DigSafe. They say you have to call them everytime you even stick a shovel in the ground. We don't call for every single instance, such as installing some annual beds, but any tree/shrub plantings, irrigation or anything deeper we definitely call, like someone was saying its free.