New guy with some ??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by actslawncare, Feb 15, 2006.

1. actslawncare

actslawncare LawnSite Member
    from WV

Hey guys, I've got some questions for ya. I've been working in the lawn care biz for 6 years now, and this will be my first year going on my own. I know what to expect when it comes to the work side of it but i was surprised at how much i was spending on equipment and basic stuff (ink, paper, ect.) to get my name out there. So i was just going to ask a couple of question that i had to see if the experts can help me.

1) When it comes to flyers, do you recommend doing it yourself, or paying someone to copy them for you?

2) Is there any kind of school or books that you recommmend that i should take to get some basic knowledge on weeds, fert., different types of plants, shrubs, etc.?

3) What did you guys do to get your name out there?

and
    4) What type of truck do you recommend?

I have a 36 lesco w/c, a sthyl fs 110, and sthyl bs 340.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

get your copies printed for you, ink cartridges are too expensive...go to the library for reference materials, and as far as fert and pestasides, you need to get a licence for that.

also might want to change your profile, said youve been in business for 4 years, but your really just starting out on your own right.. so it would be 0 but stick with it and that will change..

use the search button lots of info here..:)

3. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

I checked out what some classes were using for text books...design theory and a couple others. Found them on amazon.com cheap and have found them to be more usefull and informative than most other books on the subject that I bought on the spur from a book store.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

many colleges have tons of info in the websites, u of ohio, purdue... check the horticulture sites..:)

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would check out colleges to see about books for different topics. If you are going to go to college, I would go for either General Landscaping, or Landscape architexture.
    As far as a truck goes, it depends on your budget and what you plan to do! You may want to start off with a ford f150 or dodge or chevy/gmc 1500. If you plan to plow and grow a company, I would suggest a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I (and quite a few others) prefer the GMC 2500HD pickup though if I was in the market for a diesel it would be a ram 2500 or 3500 with a CUMMINS diesel in it. The truck pulls like a bear!!!
    What kind of work are you doing now for your 1st season and what do you see yourself doing a few years down the road? What is your budget? Answer both of those and we can give you a bit more feedback! By the way, WELCOME TO LAWNSITE and GOOD LUCK with your business!