1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New guy......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by qwinbe05, May 19, 2006.

1. qwinbe05

qwinbe05 LawnSite Member
    from Toledo

New guy here,
    Me and a couple friends are looking to start a business we are a couple of high school students looking for start a lawn business to make money while we are still in high school and maybe after high school too. any advice for help for me?
  2. qwinbe05

qwinbe05 LawnSite Member
    from Toledo

I have a 32cc weedwacker,lawn tactor, and a couple push mowers, I do want to get something commerical that will last alot longer then what I have Now.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

no partnerships! one of you has to be the boss and have employees.
    do not buy equipment together. What happens when one of you drops out and wants his money back? what about when you need the machine and so does your buddy.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Look into echo 2 stroke equipment! What dealers are in your area? What brands of commercial equipment do they carry? How many accounts do you have?
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

DONT LOWBALL...buy commercial equipment as well.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have a simple rule: No doing business with friends, family, or neighbors.

That way when something goes south, you still have your relationships.
  7. qwinbe05

qwinbe05 LawnSite Member
    from Toledo

I am not sure about the dealers in my area I only know of the andersons mowing center right off the bat. I pretty much the boss of them,but they have some say into to what it is that is going on because I am trying to start it with some ideas :hammerhead:
  8. qwinbe05

qwinbe05 LawnSite Member
    from Toledo

Am still in high school with not alot of money any helpful hints for making money? or at lest something helpful for starting a business
  9. Cahsking

Cahsking LawnSite Member

Get some experience under your belt. Try to get a job with a decent size company, and work with them for about a year or two. If you like the everyday hustle and bustle, take a class or two. Get certified/licensed in something!! Aka street cred.:cool2: If your still into it and serious bout going for the LLC, save money!!!!!!!!! Buy some good "Commercial" items, no home depot, or Lowe's homeowner crap. Cause it will break within a month. Research your states regs on operation in this business. Learn about overhead. And please search LC threads.

Part 2...Try to convince one friend to get into Landscaping, the other to get into Turf Mngmt, and you could learn Landscape Design. That would be the real winner tripple threat.
  10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get a job, work for yourself, its not rocket science and you will catch on quick. If you're a sole proprietor and you're a high school kid you could low ball and work for cash. You probably don't really even need a business license. Go legit after you get out of highschool or if you decide its worth sticking to.