New guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by The Green Guys, Feb 5, 2007.

1. The Green Guys

The Green Guys LawnSite Member

Hey all, Im new to the whole landscaping thing. I get started by introducing my-self. Im 17 and want to open a landscaping/lawn care company. I have a partner and we want to know whats the best way to get started. We are buying a truck, 2 mowers (Push) lol i know, weed wackers, trimmers, blowers and a few other things.. Is there anything else i need? O yea and how much a month do you think it would be to get insurance on a company vehicle. I want to hire about 4 others and buy 2 mor trucks but im not sure on the whole insurance thing. Thanks guys!

THE GREEN GUYS!

2. Young Lawn Boy

Young Lawn Boy LawnSite Member

do you even have any accounts...i wouldn't even worry about hiring others until you get some accounts lol...if not, you really need to hit it hard advertising come this march

3. The Green Guys

Yea, i have a few accounts, im goin to get 10000+ flyers and door hangers made and give all them out. Any other suggestions?

4. the undergraduate

the undergraduate LawnSite Member

If you're going to distribute 10,000 fliers for lawn care, you'd better get started soon. That's a lot of fliers and they take longer to distribute than you may think.

Good Luck!

5. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

The first thing you need is to get rid of your partner.

6. Young Lawn Boy

i totally agree...as much as you might get along with him now...you have to go into this thing alone...trust me i split with my partner last year and that was the best thing i could of done for my company. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

as far as the flyers go...if you want extreme results(thats what you sound like you want) then you need to start as soon as you can. Yes now would be a great time...do you have a flyer made up yet? if so lets see it

7. The Green Guys

The only problem is, is i really need him for the funds, he's one of my best friends and It would be nice to have 2 guys for now instead of one... I could get alot more done. I think im goin to get him to do a 75% 25% propriotership. So he wont really be to involved

8. Young Lawn Boy

ya i see where you are coming from...i started up with my best friend too and things were great for about the first two years then he started getting really greedy. it was really hard to cut it off with him but it was a must if i wanted to succeed...just think about how loyal he is and if he is just in it for the quick dollar

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

if you only need him for 25 percent then just cut 25 from your starting budget. and save the money you make to re invest.

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Or just get a loan from the guy. Make sure you have paperwork drawn up if you take this route.