new guy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Robert S, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

Hi everyone. I have been into my own painting buisness for about 4 years. than i had a job mowing and shredding for the city. i know how to operate all the tools and want to get a lawn service started .problem is only mower i have is a 3.75 hp weedeater brand from walmart its practicly new. i dont have aa weed wacker or blower. i do have a chevy truck old but runs. is there any resources i can use to get started in lawn care? i want to start off doing residentual and maybe make enough to get better equipment. any suggestions? Im thinking my name can be affordable lawn care. thanks:usflag:

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you have to get a better mower, mow what you can and get a used commercial walk behind ASAP that mower wont last a month if you get 15 accounts, the wheel will start falling off...... lots of nice used equipment around, start digging for it... :)

3. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

thanks dave about what does a used one go for and weres a good place to get one? oh yea would a self propeled work? like a 6 hrs power?

4. daveintoledo

go to some amnufacture web sites and learn about the machines, they are hydrostatic units, local trading paper, many dealers cary used models..... plan on spending at least a thousand, and that is the low end of the scale, some sponsors here have nice machines, better outdoor products quick 36 has great reviews///

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/
    bigger ztr's can cost 8 to 12 thousand...
    this is a business and you need to invest to make money

5. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

sounds like a plan. im hoping to get atleast 20 lawns and charge no less than 35 for the smallist one. just coming up with 10000 dollers is going to be a tough one. seems like with 3 kids and living in a apartment never have any money left.oh well maybe that will change when i get some lawns.

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ebay. There's a sh*t load of mowers available in Texas. Look under Home and Garden, go to lawnmowers, then look up walkbehinds. You say you live in an apartment, 2 things: Where you gonna keep you equip out of the rain and secures, and second who maintains the grounds (if they have any lawns or flower beds) but if possible see about maybe doing that.

7. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

im going to keep it at my momas house. and lol i was thinking of trying to get the apartments the manager here is new and i been here 6 months only seen it mowed 2 times and really they did a bad job.i just scared to take it on with my weedeater mower. thanks i will check out ebay

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

How big is the complex. With a commercial walk behind you'll be amazed at the difference in time. When you look on ebay also check out the string trimmers and blowers. I personall prefer Echo 100%. Or if you'd rather buy those new like most would go to Home Depot they carry the Echo brand.

9. daveintoledo

buy your new equipment from a dealer who can provide service when you need it, home depot and lowes do not...when it breaks down you will have to go to a dealer where you did not purchase the unit, and you will be put last in line for repairs to the people who buy there products from that dealer...

last thing anyone needs is another lowes landscaper.....

i dont think they are the same units either, not sure

10. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

thanks the apts are about in a 2 acre track not real big about 50 units. 2 side walks.